Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Hubby just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes..Need idea.s for food. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/hubby-just-diagnosed-type-2-diabetes-need-idea-s-food-t49942.html)

Quilt Mom 06-23-2010 06:48 AM

A lot of good advice! I hope things are continuing to go well.

One of the things we noticed with my husband's diabetes is that if he is to have sweets, he needs to have them before the evening meal. (morning snack, afternoon snack maybe) Otherwise he does not have time to work off the effects by the end of the day. His sugar levels seem to spike at night. We tend to eat a lot of fruit instead of baked goods, etc.

With the diabetes came cholesterol problems, so we have added oatmeal (cooked, not quick) daily, with cinnamon added for flavor. The oats have helped the chol. problem, and the cinnamon does seem to make a difference in the sugar.

Best wishes in your efforts to control this.

Lady Diana 06-26-2010 05:14 AM

I hope he is exercising too. My Dad had diabetes from age 38. He exercised every day, first bike riding, then as he grew older, walking. Best wishes, I know both of you will do fine.
D in TX

bSmall 06-28-2010 01:12 PM

Wisdom "speaketh".

BonniFeltz 06-30-2010 04:17 PM

My brother just sent me this recipe so I thought I'd share it. In all honesty though, I'd probably leave out the pesto and perhaps put in salsa instead (grins)
------

From Better Homes & Gardens / diabetic

Pesto Chicken Breasts with Summer Squash

Start to Finish: 20 min.

Ingredients

4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 3/4 pound total)

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoons homemade or purchased pesto

2 cups finely chopped zucchini and/or yellow summer squash

2 tablespoons finely shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a large nonstick skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 4 minutes.

2. Turn chicken; add zucchini and/or squash. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes more or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink (170 degrees F) and squash is crisp-tender, stirring squash gently once or twice. Transfer chicken and squash to 4 dinner plates. Spread pesto over chicken; sprinkle with Asiago or Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts Calories 186, Total Fat (g) 10, Saturated Fat (g) 2,

Cholesterol (mg) 55, Sodium (mg) 129, Carbohydrate (g) 2, Fiber (g) 1,

Protein (g) 23,

BonniFeltz 06-30-2010 04:19 PM

Here's another one that my brother sent me.
--------
From better recipes / diabetic

Diabetic Banana Cream Pie

Sugar free ice cream and whipped topping make this banana cream pie extra rich and smooth--just mix and refrigerate until set.

Ingredients:

8 oz cream cheese

2 cups 2% milk

2-3 cups no sugar added vanilla ice cream

2-3 cups light or sugar free whipped topping

1 envelope plain gelatin

1 large pkg instant pudding or to taste

5-6 bananas, sliced and soaked in lemon-lime soda

1 large package instant banana pudding (or vanilla with a little banana extract)

Directions:

Soften cream cheese with a mixer. Add a small amount of milk and beat until smooth. Gradually add remaining milk. Add pudding mix slowly and then add plain gelatin. Do not over mix. Fold in ice cream and whipped topping. Drain bananas and incorporate into mixture. Spoon into a prepared graham cracker crust. Cool then refrigerate to set. I make my own crust with graham cracker crumbs and Splenda plus enough melted butter to make it hold together when sqeezed in your hand. If you choose, add some chopped nuts. Place crust in oven and brown at 350 degrees but watch carefully, as the butter burns easily.

Number of Servings: 6-8

Notes from the Cook: Very good even for non-diabetics. I add more ice cream and gelatin as I like it a little firmer.

© Copyright 2010, Meredith Corporation, All Rights Reserved

blueangel 10-05-2011 04:20 AM

I agree with RoxanneS it is not the end of the world. Live life to the fullest.