Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Hunt's Chili recipe from the late 60's or early 70's???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/hunts-chili-recipe-late-60s-early-70s-t237200.html)

teacherbailey 12-22-2013 07:14 AM

Hunt's Chili recipe from the late 60's or early 70's????

One of my favorite recipes to make while growing up was (on a magazine clipping of a) Hunt's tomato sauce chili recipe. Very basic, I remember ground beef, a big can of tomato sauce, chopped onion, kidney beans and some chili powder. Maybe a couple more ingredients but not many! It was one of the first dinners that I learned to make as a young cook. Mom's recipe wasn't attached to anything and somehow got lost as we moved stuff out of her house after her death. If anybody has this recipe, I would love to have it to share with my own children and grandchildren!

If you have made this, it is a very thick chili with gentle spiciness.....great for kids.....

Thanks for reading this! Hope somebody finds this beloved recipe.

Terri

Tartan 12-22-2013 07:27 AM

My family's mild chili recipe is simple. Brown the beef hamburger with chopped onion. Add chili powder to taste, add a can of pork and beans in tomato sauce and a can of red kidney beans. That's it and I serve it with a boiled whole potato or warm baking powder biscuits.

tutt 12-22-2013 07:34 AM

Hunts.com has chili recipes on their sight. One anytime chili and one 30 minute chili. Perhaps one of these is what you are looking for.

ube quilting 12-22-2013 03:45 PM

If I recall correctly, Hunts used to have packets with all the seasonings in it. You just added the ground beef and tomato sauce of your choice as long as it is Hunts tomato sauce. They are still available in most super markets. I would bet the recipe is on the packet. Hope this helps. I remember how good it was.
peace

Billi 12-22-2013 04:17 PM

I remember making something close to what you describe too. I looked at the hunts site and they did not look right to me. When I was a kid mom kept ketchup on the table to add if it was too spicy for the kids.

GailG 12-22-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6468774)
My family's mild chili recipe is simple. Brown the beef hamburger with chopped onion. Add chili powder to taste, add a can of pork and beans in tomato sauce and a can of red kidney beans. That's it and I serve it with a boiled whole potato or warm baking powder biscuits.

When we have "chili night" we fix a few sides. Some of us like chili fritoes (that's fritoes with chili poured over it); some like chili and mashed potatoes -- either a bowl of chili with a scoop of mashed potatoes dropped on top OR mashed potatoes with chili on top; we also have buns for those who want to make a sloppy Joe.

teacherbailey 12-23-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by tutt (Post 6468785)
Hunts.com has chili recipes on their sight. One anytime chili and one 30 minute chili. Perhaps one of these is what you are looking for.

SIGH.....I looked there before I posted it here....they all have ingredients that I don't remember.....like a can of chili or Ro-Tel tomatoes. Thanks, though!

teacherbailey 12-23-2013 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 6469486)
If I recall correctly, Hunts used to have packets with all the seasonings in it. You just added the ground beef and tomato sauce of your choice as long as it is Hunts tomato sauce. They are still available in most super markets. I would bet the recipe is on the packet. Hope this helps. I remember how good it was.
peace

Thanks, I'll try this. I haven't looked at the spice packets as I have a tender tummy and most are too spicy (by far!) for me.

teacherbailey 12-23-2013 01:30 PM

Just realized that I have two oldish (80's maybe?) cookbooks that are volume 1 and 2 of "The Best recipes from boxes, cans and jars) or something like that. I will definitely check those, and post the recipe for you all if it is there.

suzanprincess 12-25-2013 01:13 AM

That's the chili I grew up with too, but there was no written recipe at our house. I made it for years myself, adding one stalk of celery, chopped, but Schilling brand chili powder has been changed in recent years so now I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve the taste I remember. Along with a pound of ground beef and a can of kidney beans I use a small can of tomato sauce, and when I double the recipe like to substitute a can of diced tomatoes instead of a second can of sauce. I use 2 tablespoons of chili powder in a single batch, and add more to taste, if needed, after the chili simmers a while. Little or no salt, as the chili powder mixture is usually quite salty already. A bit of sugar, garlic powder, basil and/or cumin sometimes improves the flavor. I also add up to a sauce can of water (which is one cup) as needed for thick soup consistency. Simmer for 15 minutes minimum, up to an hour.

Now I'm hungry for some good chili!