Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Ideas needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/ideas-needed-t311322.html)

Mkotch 06-10-2020 02:16 AM

Ideas needed

I have volunteered to help a low income lady with meals a couple of times a week. The kitchen in her apartment caught fire, so there are contractors replacing it. She has a microwave and refrig. I want to give her two meals at once - one to eat that day and another to eat later in the week. My plan is to make an extra portion when I'm cooking for DH and me. Do you have any ideas, especially casseroles? Here's what I've come up with so far:
- stuffed shells, tossed salad, Italian bread
- mini meatloaf, mashed potato, vegetable
- Cobb salad, bread
- grilled chicken breast, sweet potato, vegetable
- quiche, salad, roll

I'm going to the dollar store today to get a few containers that I hope she can return so I can fill them up again. Thanks for any ideas you can give - just writing these ideas has helped me.

jmoore 06-10-2020 03:01 AM

Scalloped potatoes are great leftover and pair with almost anything...sometimes DH and I just have a piece of ham steak with them.

bearisgray 06-10-2020 04:15 AM

That is really thoughtful of you.

Do they have any dietary restrictions?

Do you have empty cottage cheese containers or other containers that do not need to be returned? I think it makes like simpler/easier if one does not want the containers back.

Chili -

Soup - (split pea freezes well - people love it or hare it)

Lasagna

Macaroni and cheese

If she can/will "eat anything" - then whatever you make for yourselves would probably be fine.

(In our case - probably not - we have been having "scrounge" for the past week or so,)

Iceblossom 06-10-2020 04:24 AM

While you are at the dollar store getting containers, consider getting an insulated bag or two to keep things hot or cold during transport. Have to pick up some of those myself, they've lately just been one-way to my son's house... I always stress that I don't want the containers back, that I buy them at the dollar store so they are one way (my mother is continually miffed that people don't return her disposable packaging...). That goes for the insulated bags, for an extra buck at a regular stop, I just pick them up on an on-going basis. You might also pick up a fun/holiday themed dish cloth or place-mat or things like that to throw in with the meals for a little fancy packaging material.

I typically only feel like cooking every couple of days so I deliberately make "2nd day meals" whether for home or for when I was working. Now that hubby is keto he also does intermittent fasting and no more packing lunches for him!

Going along with your stuffed shells and meatloaf, meatballs are great for such meals and can be done different ways, including the Swedish version when you are tired of red sauce.

One of the ladies in my sewing group is in poor health as is her husband, for days when we have group I make lunch for her to take home so her "day off" doesn't result in more work for her. She likes "big family" type meals even though it is just the two of them so I do usually make something that is suitable for a diabetic (like I am, or her husband is) as well as my keto husband, so high protein/low carb and not so much on the pasta and rice and things I love. Corned beef and cabbage went over really well. Stews, pot roast, any of the things like I do that are "low and slow" are generally appreciated by those without the health or time to watch over them. I've found some people rather contemptuous over the idea of soup for dinner, don't understand that myself because it's something I like.

What I find goes over well are the little accompaniment like some black olives or a pickle or two. For a single person on a limited income, it can seem like quite a commitment to open a big can of them, but 5-6 in a cup is a nice treat. Plus it just seems fancy to have several containers to open then just one.

Also, things as simple as a roast are rarely had by single older people. Pork roast and I keep the lunch box sized apple sauce single servings for me, usually a green vegetable like green beans or brussell sprouts. Packs up nicely.

Tartan 06-10-2020 04:27 AM

Loaf of bread and peanut butter and jelly. They are always good in a pinch and for a standby meal. Container of chili that can be warmed in the microwave.

tranum 06-10-2020 08:56 AM

A bun (or 2) & the makings for hot ham & cheese. Let her assemble it herself. Bring parchment paper so it can be wrapped & warmed in microwave. A serving of salad, potato chips & a pickle. I like mustard on mine. Does she not want Meals on Wheels delivery ? We volunteer with that.

IceLeopard 06-10-2020 10:24 AM

Chicken and rice

tropit 06-10-2020 10:38 AM

IceLeopard, you beat me to it. I was going to say chicken Jambalaya. You can make it mild, or spicy, make a big pot of it for you and her and it is always a big hit. Also, frozen shrimp is usually expensive, but in my area it has been on sale and super cheap. If you can find it on sale, then add some shrimp to it too. Anduille sausage is also a typical ingredient, but the dish is still good without it.

~ C

Irishrose2 06-10-2020 12:36 PM

Grilled chicken, vegetable and salad with a cookie for dessert. I tend not to grill for just me so it's always a treat.

gmcsewer 06-10-2020 01:18 PM

A piece of pie or cake or some dessert that she wouldn't make because of the size. Maybe a good lunch meat sandwich since she may not buy that in bulk either. When I was single I loved anyone who would invite me for beans and cornbread, so if you make such you could bring her a serving or two.