Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking for Blue Ribbon Cake Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-blue-ribbon-cake-recipes-t321128.html)

SueZQ from MN 08-13-2023 09:33 AM

I don't know if this is too late or not, or if you are committed to a lemon cake, but The Ultimate Oreo Cake from the Brown Eyed Baker would be a real good entry because it showcases a number of techniques. It calls for a cream cheese filling that could be replaced with one of your other white frostings that doesn't need refrigeration.
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/cooki...eam-oreo-cake/

tropit 08-13-2023 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN (Post 8612785)
I don't know if this is too late or not, or if you are committed to a lemon cake, but The Ultimate Oreo Cake from the Brown Eyed Baker would be a real good entry because it showcases a number of techniques. It calls for a cream cheese filling that could be replaced with one of your other white frostings that doesn't need refrigeration.
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/cooki...eam-oreo-cake/

Oh, thanks. I'm not totally committed to the lemon cake yet, but it's starting to get close to entry time and experimenting is getting expensive, so at this point, I think that I'll stick with what I know and have practiced. However, my dau is thinking of entering, so I'll pass the recipe on to her. She loves Oreos, so I know that she'll like it. :)

Goatmom 08-16-2023 06:57 AM

Tropit, if you decide to use lemonade concentrate, please taste it first. I made a lemonade pie this past weekend and the husband wanted to know what the flavor was. We all agreed that the concentrate is not the same as when my mother made the pie many years ago. I have some of the filling left and I'm going to add some lemon extract to it to see if that improves the flavor. The filling is just 6 oz. of lemonade concentrate, a can of Eagle Brand milk and 16 oz. of Cool Whip.

I'm saving the recipes you've used to try them myself. I love anything lemon.

tropit 08-17-2023 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Goatmom (Post 8613160)
Tropit, if you decide to use lemonade concentrate, please taste it first. I made a lemonade pie this past weekend and the husband wanted to know what the flavor was. We all agreed that the concentrate is not the same as when my mother made the pie many years ago. I have some of the filling left and I'm going to add some lemon extract to it to see if that improves the flavor. The filling is just 6 oz. of lemonade concentrate, a can of Eagle Brand milk and 16 oz. of Cool Whip.

I'm saving the recipes you've used to try them myself. I love anything lemon.

Huh...interesting. I think I'm going to stick with fresh lemons. Thanks for that heads up.

"The filling is just 6 oz. of lemonade concentrate, a can of Eagle Brand milk and 16 oz. of Cool Whip."
That sounds good!

tropit 09-12-2023 08:48 AM

So, today I'm working on my final draft of my Lemon Velvet Cake. I have to turn it in on 09/19, so I'm making the sponge today and freezing the layers on cake boards. I've done this before, so I know it will still taste fresh. I might also work on the lemon curd filling. I need to make it just a little thicker because it tends to ooze out between the layers when the cake is cut. I could add one more egg yolk to the curd, or perhaps add some corn starch blended with a little water. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. The frosting, which also freezes well will be made tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

peaceandjoy 09-13-2023 02:58 AM

Oh, that lemon cake sounds fabulous! Best wishes on your entry.

tropit 09-13-2023 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 8616790)
Oh, that lemon cake sounds fabulous! Best wishes on your entry.

Thanks! I made the frosting today...Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting...very lemony. I might make a second set of sponge layers. The first set seemed a bit fragile and might crack after I put it together.

bkay 09-14-2023 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8616714)
So, today I'm working on my final draft of my Lemon Velvet Cake. I have to turn it in on 09/19, so I'm making the sponge today and freezing the layers on cake boards. I've done this before, so I know it will still taste fresh. I might also work on the lemon curd filling. I need to make it just a little thicker because it tends to ooze out between the layers when the cake is cut. I could add one more egg yolk to the curd, or perhaps add some corn starch blended with a little water. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. The frosting, which also freezes well will be made tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Corn starch doesn't freeze well. It breaks down and gets thin.I understand you can use arrowroot, which I have used. I gave the things I used it in to my sister, so I'm not sure it worked in the dishes I sent her.
However, I've used canned cream soup in dishes I wished to freeze and they broke down. Campbell's cream soups contain both corn starch and flour and they definitely break down and get thin after freezing..

bkay

edit: The decoration that will do the most to make an impression is to use a piping of frosting around the base of the cake. It's described as "anchoring the cake to the plate".

sewbizgirl 09-14-2023 10:00 AM

Tropit, your story of the flying cake was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

I'm not much of a cake maker, but I do enjoy eating it! Good luck at the fair.

tropit 09-17-2023 11:14 AM

Thanks for all of the good words of encouragement everyone. Everything except the lemon curd is in the freezer. I'm putting it together on Tuesday and taking it down to the fairgrounds. I'll try to take some pix to show you all. :)