Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Meat Broth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/meat-broth-t294552.html)

RosaSharon 02-06-2018 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7997913)
No need to skim off the fat. Fat is good for you; your brain needs fat.
I simmered left over chicken bones for about two days, and the bones got so tender I could crush them with my fingers. I put all this into the blender and had some wonderful broth. Then I cooked one cup of brown rice with three cups of the broth. Delicious.

I have just learned that back in the day before insulin shots, the doctor's cured diabetes by adding fat to the diet, and low carbs. They probably didn't call them carbs, but they eliminated sugar and refined foods, etc. Now I eat the fat too!

tranum 02-06-2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7997913)
No need to skim off the fat. Fat is good for you; your brain needs fat.
I simmered left over chicken bones for about two days, and the bones got so tender I could crush them with my fingers. I put all this into the blender and had some wonderful broth. Then I cooked one cup of brown rice with three cups of the broth. Delicious.

i agree we need the fat. I should have said I remove SOME of the fat. I save bacon grease and use just a little to fry eggs or in cooking.

tranum 02-06-2018 11:06 AM

“The Everlasting Meal” by Tamar Adler is really a good book. She doesn’t throw much food away.

Annaquilts 02-06-2018 11:47 AM

I do too. I also save cooking water and vegetable scraps. I blenderize the scraps and make vegetable broth that way.

JanieH 02-06-2018 12:03 PM

I am interested in this, especially since I just purchased a freezer and would have a place to put the jars.

But I have no idea how to make the broth.

Any information will be appreciated.

Mariah 02-06-2018 01:09 PM

JanieH asked how to make broth.
I just use the liquid from a roast pork or beef. Pour it into a container or fruit jar. If I don't have enough to use with noodles, ect, I add a Bouillion Cube and a cup of water for each bouillion cube. You never taste the difference in the actual broth and that from the Boullion Cube.

It really does save money. At T.Giving, I just use the broth from the turkey for gravy and turkey and noodles. The broth is $2.00 or so, so---- free money!!
Mariah

SuzzyQ 02-12-2018 07:57 AM

To make stock/broth:
Roast soup bone (beef) in large roasting pan in oven at 400° about 1 hour or till it smells wonderful. Then turn heat down to 225° and add water to pan to cover beef bones. Bake 2 - 3 hours or till everything falls apart. Cool slightly; remove bones with slotted spoon to large platter. Pour liquid into large clear pitcher/large dutch oven - reserving last bits of solids, whatever isn't clear. Cool stock till fat solidifies then remove fat and discard. Reheat stock if it has jelled (which is a very good thing) and pour into freezer jars, cover, date and freeze till needed. (If I've got limited freezer space, I reheat in pan and reduce to about 1/3 it's volume and freeze in smaller portions. When I use that I can add water as needed. Meanwhile, separate meat from bones and pack into freezer containers in useable portions and cover with stock. Place on lids and freeze. (OR place meat into casserole, add 3-4 tablespoons barley. Cover with stock pan remains and additional stock (to just cover). Bake at 225° about 2 hours and serve with potatoes and vegetables for supper. Very tasty.)

JanieH 02-12-2018 04:29 PM

SuzzyQ, thank you for those directions. I can't wait to try making my own stock.

tranum 02-13-2018 09:12 PM

REMINDER FOR FREEZING IN JARS.
Glass jars are wonderful but don’t fill more than 75% full or it may crack your jar when in the freezer.

Geri B 02-14-2018 04:28 AM

Regarding the rendering of the meat bones...Why in oven, can't this work in pot on stove top....

tranum - you said you simmered for two days...did you refrigerate overnite or continually keep on stove? And then you blended - including the bones?

veggie broth from scraps...does that mean the peeling/trimmings of fresh veggies..like beet tops, asparagus ends, cauliflower, cabbage leaves, etc?