Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Mincemeat Pie for Christmas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/mincemeat-pie-christmas-t308615.html)

Feather3 12-19-2019 01:08 AM

My Grandmother made mince meat pie. She'd buy the filling in a jar from the local grocery stores. After she had passed I found a jar of it in the cupboard. It contained venison meat. You sure won't find that today.

frodo 12-19-2019 06:16 AM

I love mince meat pie. my Mom used to make it every year
along with coconut macaroons

tropit 12-26-2019 07:28 AM

Update: I made the pie, it was delicious and yes, unfortunately, I was the only one that had a piece. No one else wanted to try it. :( There's still some left, so can can have pie for breakfast every day for the next few days.

~ C

peaceandjoy 12-27-2019 04:46 PM

Mincemeat? Oh, no.... The horror!!! My mother and my husband like it, so there is usually one at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Now how about Christmas - aka Suet - pudding? Yes, there is suet in it. But not that much, really, and fat is fat is fat. Ahhh, that I love. Well, my recipe, which is more dates and less raisins. But nobody else will touch it now that Dad is gone, so that has gone by the wayside.

dreamer2009 12-31-2019 04:40 PM

JustRetired I just sent you a message.

ladyinpurple135 01-01-2020 05:25 PM

Mince Meat Pies

Many, many , many years ago min e meat was actually meat - somewhere along the line the recipe changed to chat we know now. My Dad loved mince meat pie and my grandmother (his mom) always made what was called hard sauce. Not sure why but it did contain liquor. I remember that grandma had made the hard sauce with the liquor and my grandpa either didn’t know she had already added it or he thought there wasn’t enough - so he added more. I remember my Dad saying that was the best hard sauce she had ever made😁😁. I never had any - not sure if it was because of the booze or that the name sounded yucky but now I sure wish I had had some.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

peaceandjoy 01-03-2020 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 (Post 8346282)
Many, many , many years ago min e meat was actually meat - somewhere along the line the recipe changed to chat we know now. My Dad loved mince meat pie and my grandmother (his mom) always made what was called hard sauce. Not sure why but it did contain liquor. I remember that grandma had made the hard sauce with the liquor and my grandpa either didn’t know she had already added it or he thought there wasn’t enough - so he added more. I remember my Dad saying that was the best hard sauce she had ever made😁😁. I never had any - not sure if it was because of the booze or that the name sounded yucky but now I sure wish I had had some.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

We had hard sauce with Christmas pudding. No liquor in it. I thought it was called that bc unless it is warmed to melt the butter, it is "hard" (kind of the texture of frosting).