Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need Ideas to Flavor Plain Yogurt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-ideas-flavor-plain-yogurt-t291194.html)

IrishgalfromNJ 09-15-2017 04:07 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Love the idea of the sugar substitute and the sugar free instant pudding mix. Never thought of applesauce or pineapple or sugar free jello mix. I really appreciate the help, everyone.

QuiltE 09-15-2017 04:26 AM

Not sure what the intent is for you to be eating yogurt,
or whether you want to consider other ways to eat yogurt ....

It makes a great topping on baked potatoes, instead of sour cream.

Make a jello ... mix the jello with 1/4 to 1/2 the liquid required.
I usually go with closer to the 1/4 so that I have a good "stiff" jello and get lots of flavour.
Let cool slightly then stir in yogurt, equal to 1/2 the liquid requirements.

It makes a nice snack/treat.
Haven't had it for awhile ... and now that you reminded me, it'll be made today.
My favourite is lime!

tropit 09-15-2017 06:15 AM

A little cocoa powder and a packet of Splenda really changes up the game.

Also, have you tried So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt? Lo cal, light, slight coconut taste, really yummy with fruit.

IrishgalfromNJ 09-15-2017 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7906547)
Not sure what the intent is for you to be eating yogurt,
or whether you want to consider other ways to eat yogurt ....

It makes a great topping on baked potatoes, instead of sour cream.

Make a jello ... mix the jello with 1/4 to 1/2 the liquid required.
I usually go with closer to the 1/4 so that I have a good "stiff" jello and get lots of flavour.
Let cool slightly then stir in yogurt, equal to 1/2 the liquid requirements.

It makes a nice snack/treat.
Haven't had it for awhile ... and now that you reminded me, it'll be made today.
My favourite is lime!

The Dr. did not tell me to eat yogurt specifically. I like yogurt, but I like flavor in mine and I'm trying to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet so flavored yogurt is out because it's got a lot of sugar in it.

MarleneC 09-15-2017 09:00 AM

I put a bit of either sugar free or regular jam/jelly in them. Also, cinnamon is good. Blueberries are excellent. A bit of maple syrup. Hubby is diabetic so we get sugar free as much as possible. We use all of the sugar free products sparingly. I also like to use it in smoothies and on top of potatoes or Mexican foods in place of sour cream/crema. Also, use in coleslaw or in salads. I always have some Greek style in my fridge.

suern3 09-15-2017 02:50 PM

Seems like most of these additions would also be adding sugar. You would need to check that carefully if less sugar is your goal. If you read the labels on the various brands and types of yogurt you will find a very big difference in the amount of sugar in each one, each flavor. Some are made with artificial sweeteners, if don't mind those.

meanmom 09-15-2017 03:08 PM

My favorite breakfast, when I have time is Fage fat free yogurt. I add some fresh fruit, whatever is in season or frozen. I add just a pinch of stevia and some Fiber One cereal, not the flake kind. Sometimes I add some extract, vanilla and lemon are my favorites. The FIber one cereal kinda tastes like nuts and gives it some crunch.
Some of the flavored yogurt is so full of sugar etc it isn't even healthy anymore. I was doing Weight Watchers for a while, some yogurts have more calories and sugar than ice cream.

SusieQOH 09-15-2017 04:04 PM

My favorite way to eat plain yogurt is with honey, preferably local. It's awesome and honey is good for you as long as you don't use too much.

misseva 09-15-2017 04:50 PM

I love plain yogurt with fresh or frozen grapes.

plainpat 09-15-2017 04:51 PM

There's a Just Fruit jam/jelly made by Smuckers. Just a bit will add flavor to yogurt,oatmeal & rice.