Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   need inspiration: whats your favorite quick go-to weeknight supper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-inspiration-whats-your-favorite-quick-go-weeknight-supper-t179147.html)

Tartan 02-13-2012 09:34 AM

Here are a few of my instant (30 min) meals. Take some weiners out of the freezer and slice into little circles. Pop them in a little water to boil. Once they are plump, drain the water off and add 1 or 2 cans of Heinz beans and tomato sauce and heat through. We call it beanies and wienies.
If you have a lump of frozen hamburger in the freezer, you can have either spaghetti sauce or chili in about half an hour. I put the lump of hamburger in a little water in a saucepan. Turn on the burner and scrap the meat off (with a fork) the lump as it browns flipping it from one side to the other. Once you have the lump all cooked proceed with either recipe.
For spaghetti sauce: I add 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery, 1/2 a cooking onion diced, 1 clove garlic diced and when the vegggies are cooked one jar of spaghetti sauce. Serve over your favourite pasta.
For Chili: Add 1 cooking onion diced, I can of red kidney beans drained, 1 can of Heinz beans in tomato sauce and 3 tsp. of chili powder.(more if you like it hot) Cook through and serve with biscuits or boiled whole baby potatoes.
Now this isn't high cuisine but they are my "hurry up mom we're hungry" recipes.

Prissnboot 02-13-2012 11:10 AM

I have a Tupperware microwave steamer - I put some dried herbes - I like a premixed herb du province, and season some chicken breasts. They cook 6 minutes per lb, and I cook some green veggies while the microwave is going. I'm really tired of this, but it's quite easy and I'm blessed with a husband who doesn't complain.

HOWEVER, one of his favorite dishes is called Chicken Correleone. In olive oil, saute sliced mushrooms, onions and garlic, even sliced tomatoes. Add Italian seasoning while it's cooking, and also add some white wine. Cover and let the flavors blend. Cook the boneless skinless chicken breasts in a George Foreman grill or in the aforementioned steamer, lay on a bed of rice or pasta, and spoon the vegetables on top. Mmmm....yummy! Don't forget the garlic bread!

gmavis 02-13-2012 02:08 PM

I usually buy my hamburger in the "large" package. 8 to 10 lbs. I fry it, drain, rinse with water (to get most of the grease off) Then I freeze it in small freezer bags. It is ready to throw into chili beans, spaghetti, veggie soup, etc.
We like stuffed green peppers. So when they are on sale, I buy several, mix the hamburger with Spanish rice, steam the cleaned 1/2 shell peppers, then stuff with the hamburger/rice mixture, cover with tomato sauce, or a can of petite tomato bits and bake. 350 degrees about an hour. We have a great supper that night, and I freeze the leftovers. Easy to pull out 2 and heat in the micro wave. I have chopped these up after they are hot and put in the tortilla wrap.

mayday 02-13-2012 03:09 PM

Spag bol/ mac cheese/liver-bacon/sm haddock-poached egg-colcannon/sausage and mash-----all fairly quick and easy, but h/made soups made before can last 2-3 days served with crusty bread ,all fresh stuff ; cabbage soup/minestrone /celery stilton etc etc all nourishing and filling ,I don't believe in pkt/frozen/tins.

rushdoggie 02-13-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mayday (Post 4972442)
sm haddock-poached egg-colcannon/sausage and mash-.

What is colcannon and what is in sausage and mash?

rushdoggie 02-13-2012 03:42 PM

Tonight I am making Spanish rice from a box (the kind that uses a can of tomatoes) and adding chicken smoked sausage, paired with a spinach salad. High in salt but at least we are eating cooked tomatoes and spinach too.

Pinkiris 02-13-2012 04:13 PM

I get a magazine called "Simple and Delicious". It's by the same publisher that puts out "Taste of Home". They have lots of recipes for quick meals and crockpot meals and meals to freeze. You might want to check your library for copies or go online and check them out.

Muv 02-13-2012 04:14 PM

Grilled sausages with mashed spuds and side salad. Vary the spuds by mashing in leek fried in butter or a generous dollop of whole grain mustard.

And now I'm laughing because I have just noticed I have put the same suggestion as Mayday. Good English grub, nice and easy and filling.

Colcannon is an Irish version of the same theme, cabbage mashed in with spuds, generally served with cooked ham or bacon.

Make sure there is plenty of salted butter mashed in with the spuds.

Then try swede mashed in with the spuds. Or a combination of mashed parsnips and carrots browned off in the oven or under the grill. All very easy and filling comfort food for winter.

imdelagarza62 02-13-2012 05:45 PM

A great easy soup is either a can of chicken breasts or even better is left roasted chicken the pre cooked ones from the grocery store. Add a can of corn, a can of beans, a van of rotel tomatoes. Do not drain any of the vegetables. Add some SW seasoning and let simmer for 15 minutes. Throw in a bowl with some tortilla chips and top with cheese.

nstitches4u 02-13-2012 05:46 PM

Brown 1 lb. ground beef, add 1 packet Lipton dry onion soup mix and 1 can Campbells cream of mushroom soup. Mix well and simmer until heated through. Serve on hamburger buns. Add a salad and microwave baked potato. My family loves this. It is a quick and yummy meal.