Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need Thanksgiving side dish help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-thanksgiving-side-dish-help-t300901.html)

Lee in Richmond 11-14-2018 05:23 AM

Need Thanksgiving side dish help

We travel about 3 hours to the region where we will spend Thanksgiving dinner with extended family. We are in a home that day (not a hotel), but really do not have the run of the kitchen.

I am to bring a vegetable side dish. Over the years I have tried all kinds of things, but have yet to find the perfect dish that can be made 2 days ahead and served kinda warm or even room temp. They do not need a potato-type dish.

Ideas?

toverly 11-14-2018 07:05 AM

I would suggest a salad like broccoli salad or chinese cole slaw. They both get better with time. You could keep it in the fridge in a plastic container or ziploc bag. It doesn't require to be "set" in a casserole dish. You can take a decorative dish to put it in for the table or buffet.

Tartan 11-14-2018 08:05 AM

Does it have to be at mealtime? A popular side dish at our family event is the taco dip with corn chips. That is the one with retried beans, chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream etc. and we put it out as people want munchies while waiting for the main event dinner.

Lee in Richmond 11-14-2018 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8161225)
I would suggest a salad like broccoli salad or chinese cole slaw. They both get better with time. You could keep it in the fridge in a plastic container or ziploc bag. It doesn't require to be "set" in a casserole dish. You can take a decorative dish to put it in for the table or buffet.

That sounds like a great idea!

Lee in Richmond 11-14-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8161269)
Does it have to be at mealtime? A popular side dish at our family event is the taco dip with corn chips. That is the one with retried beans, chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream etc. and we put it out as people want munchies while waiting for the main event dinner.

Thanks, Tartan. I will be taking an appetizer as well, so will think about that one.

QuiltE 11-14-2018 09:24 AM

I would choose something I could cook in a crockpot.

You could have your ingredients ready before you left home,
then put them on to cook that day, with very little fuss.

As a word of caution ...... when moving food around, please consider food safety.
Remember, that hot foods are to be kept hot, and cold foods kept cold.
Meeting in the middle with warm or not cold, can all too easily be an invitation to
what none of you want to get as a memory from a joyous get together.

Lee in Richmond 11-14-2018 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8161357)
I would choose something I could cook in a crockpot.

You could have your ingredients ready before you left home,
then put them on to cook that day, with very little fuss.

As a word of caution ...... when moving food around, please consider food safety.
Remember, that hot foods are to be kept hot, and cold foods kept cold.
Meeting in the middle with warm or not cold, can all too easily be an invitation to
what none of you want to get as a memory from a joyous get together.

Another good idea -- I should have asked years ago!

Mariah 11-14-2018 12:01 PM

How about a dessert like dipped candies or even fudge or peanut brittle?
People are starting to wish for any of those for T.G.,. They can be made ahead of time and all can be frozen except Peanut Brittle.
If you need recipes, I have them. If so, p.m. me, as sometimes I overlook recipes on qb.
Mariah

Lee in Richmond 11-14-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mariah (Post 8161445)
How about a dessert like dipped candies or even fudge or peanut brittle?
People are starting to wish for any of those for T.G.,. They can be made ahead of time and all can be frozen except Peanut Brittle.
If you need recipes, I have them. If so, p.m. me, as sometimes I overlook recipes on qb.
Mariah

Sorry, and I appreciate your great ideas, but I have a "slot" to fill in this dinner, and those are a vegetable side dish and an appetizer. The latter is no problem, but I am looking for a good veggie side dish. I am thinking a cold one, more like a salad, might be the answer. Else something in a crock pot, which I had never thought of.

bearisgray 11-14-2018 12:27 PM

Does this home have enough outlets to be able to use a crockpot?

Some older homes do not have many electrical outlets.

The house I grew up in had one light in the middle of the room and one outlet - per room!