Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Thanksgiving side dish help

Need Thanksgiving side dish help

We travel about 3 hours to the region where we will spend Thanksgiving dinner with extended family. We are in a home that day (not a hotel), but really do not have the run of the kitchen.

I am to bring a vegetable side dish. Over the years I have tried all kinds of things, but have yet to find the perfect dish that can be made 2 days ahead and served kinda warm or even room temp. They do not need a potato-type dish.

Ideas?

I would suggest a salad like broccoli salad or chinese cole slaw. They both get better with time. You could keep it in the fridge in a plastic container or ziploc bag. It doesn't require to be "set" in a casserole dish. You can take a decorative dish to put it in for the table or buffet.

Power Poster
    Does it have to be at mealtime? A popular side dish at our family event is the taco dip with corn chips. That is the one with retried beans, chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream etc. and we put it out as people want munchies while waiting for the main event dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I would suggest a salad like broccoli salad or chinese cole slaw. They both get better with time. You could keep it in the fridge in a plastic container or ziploc bag. It doesn't require to be "set" in a casserole dish. You can take a decorative dish to put it in for the table or buffet.
    That sounds like a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Does it have to be at mealtime? A popular side dish at our family event is the taco dip with corn chips. That is the one with retried beans, chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream etc. and we put it out as people want munchies while waiting for the main event dinner.
    Thanks, Tartan. I will be taking an appetizer as well, so will think about that one.

I would choose something I could cook in a crockpot.

You could have your ingredients ready before you left home,
    then put them on to cook that day, with very little fuss.

As a word of caution ...... when moving food around, please consider food safety.
    Remember, that hot foods are to be kept hot, and cold foods kept cold.
    Meeting in the middle with warm or not cold, can all too easily be an invitation to
    what none of you want to get as a memory from a joyous get together.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I would choose something I could cook in a crockpot.

You could have your ingredients ready before you left home,
    then put them on to cook that day, with very little fuss.

As a word of caution ...... when moving food around, please consider food safety.
    Remember, that hot foods are to be kept hot, and cold foods kept cold.
    Meeting in the middle with warm or not cold, can all too easily be an invitation to
    what none of you want to get as a memory from a joyous get together.
    Another good idea -- I should have asked years ago!

Blog Entries
    How about a dessert like dipped candies or even fudge or peanut brittle?
    People are starting to wish for any of those for T.G.,. They can be made ahead of time and all can be frozen except Peanut Brittle.
    If you need recipes, I have them. If so, p.m. me, as sometimes I overlook recipes on qb.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    How about a dessert like dipped candies or even fudge or peanut brittle?
    People are starting to wish for any of those for T.G.,. They can be made ahead of time and all can be frozen except Peanut Brittle.
    If you need recipes, I have them. If so, p.m. me, as sometimes I overlook recipes on qb.
    Mariah
    Sorry, and I appreciate your great ideas, but I have a "slot" to fill in this dinner, and those are a vegetable side dish and an appetizer. The latter is no problem, but I am looking for a good veggie side dish. I am thinking a cold one, more like a salad, might be the answer. Else something in a crock pot, which I had never thought of.

Power Poster
    Does this home have enough outlets to be able to use a crockpot?

Some older homes do not have many electrical outlets.

The house I grew up in had one light in the middle of the room and one outlet - per room!

A co-worker made this every year for our company Christmas party & I loved it.

Marinated Vegetable Salad
    1 C. sugar
    3/4 C. cider vinegar
    1/2 C. vegetable oil
    1 t. ground black pepper
    1/2 t. salt
    1 (16 oz.) can French cut green beans, drained
    1 (16 oz.) can Sweet English Peas, drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked frozen peas
    2 (14 oz.) cans Shoepeg Corn, drained
    1 (2 oz.) jar diced pimento, drained
    1 C. chopped celery
    1/2 green bell pepper, diced (can use red, yellow or green)
    1 bunch green onion, chopped
    1 or 2 cans water chestnuts

Mix 1 cup sugar, vegetable oil & vinegar, pepper & salt in saucepan. Heat to melt sugar. Cool. Toss dressing with
    remaining ingredients. Mix & chill for at least 8 hours. Serves 8 to 10 people.

Here's a really good cheese ball for an appetizer. You can find the dried beef in the canned meats department of your grocery store. It comes in a small glass jar.

Dried Beef Cheese Ball

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
    6 oz. dried beef, washed thoroughly & cut into small pieces
    4 green onions, chopped
    1/2 t. onion powder
    1/2 t. garlic powder
    2 T. Worcestershire sauce
    Finely chopped nuts

In a medium size mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, dried beef, green onions, onion powder, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Form the mixture into a ball. Roll the ball in finely chopped nuts & refrigerate overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Does this home have enough outlets to be able to use a crockpot?

Some older homes do not have many electrical outlets.

The house I grew up in had one light in the middle of the room and one outlet - per room!
    Their home is something I might aspire to, and has plenty of outlets. What I think is neat about the crock pot idea is that I can fix it wherever I am in the morning and it will be ready in the late afternoon.

P.S. I lived in Navy housing like that -- one outlet per room, one switch per hallway -- once out of there I felt liberated!

What about a broccoli/crasin salad. I have taken this to many potlucks and it sure does go over well. If you want to PM me-I will look at my recipes and e-mail it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    What about a broccoli/crasin salad. I have taken this to many potlucks and it sure does go over well. If you want to PM me-I will look at my recipes and e-mail it to you.
    That is how I am leaning. Great ideas!

I agree with the 'cold salad' idea for all the reasons already mentioned.. Here are a few of my favorites for you to consider

Broccoli pasta salad - you can never go wrong with anything bacon! https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/bro...d-pasta-salad/

Cranberry almond broccoli salad (a family favorite) https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cra...vefyre-ratings

Spicy Cilantro Slaw - this has a very distinct (but I think good) flavor if you want something a bit different http://kalynsprintablerecipes.blogsp...anut-slaw.html

Anything in the Crock pot is a good alternative too

I'm getting hungry!
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I am very traditional when it comes to Thanksgiving dishes. There have been some good ideas already listed. My thought is the traditional green been casserole but prepared in a crockpot. That way, staying hot won't be a problem (yes, I agree, that can definitely an issue with holiday meals). Personally, I use canned French cut green beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup (can dilute with broth if you like), then top with the crispy French fried onion rings just before serving.
    Jane

Copper pennies carrots are a tasty and super easy cold vegetable side. Also better a day or so after you make them.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    I am very traditional when it comes to Thanksgiving dishes. There have been some good ideas already listed. My thought is the traditional green been casserole but prepared in a crockpot. That way, staying hot won't be a problem (yes, I agree, that can definitely an issue with holiday meals). Personally, I use canned French cut green beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup (can dilute with broth if you like), then top with the crispy French fried onion rings just before serving.
    DD makes this without the onion rings. Instead she prepares a box of stuffing to put on top. Sooo good.

For someone traveling, I never expect hot things. Salads kept on ice. Bread. Paper plates and dessert.

We actually travel up the night before and stay in the area, so I still have time to cook -- but proper planning is certainly the critical ingredient! I have some new recipes now and lots of ideas. Thank you all!

Blog Entries
    My favorite cranberry sauce. 2 cans of whole cranberry sauce, 1 can of mandarin oranges drained, 1 can of crushed pineapple in juice drained a little bit. Stir together. You can stir in chopped pecans or walnuts shortly before serving. Sometimes I add them sometimes not.

There are some nice salad mixes out there that have everything in them, then you just add the dressing packet. I've seen these being brought to some of our funeral meals. Very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
    Copper pennies carrots are a tasty and super easy cold vegetable side. Also better a day or so after you make them.
    I have made those and they are so good, bought carrots today. Got me thinking about using some for these.
    Thank you for the reminder.

I need to skip the Recipes section. You are all making me ravenous!

I saw this recipe and I think I'm going to make it for Thanksgiving.
    Broccoli Cauliflower Brussels Sprout Gratin

This lusciously cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Brussels Sprout Gratin isn't your average casserole. Ditch the canned cream-of-craziness, grab some veggies, and meet me in the kitchen!

Course Side Dish
    Cuisine American
    Keyword Broccoli Cauliflower Brussels Sprout Gratin

Prep Time 10 minutes
    Cook Time 30 minutes
    Total Time 40 minutes

Servings 8 servings
    Author Jenn Laughlin - Peas and Crayons

Ingredients

• 1 lb cauliflower florets
    • 8 oz broccoli
    • 8 oz brussels sprouts (quartered)
    • 2 cups onion (white or yellow)
    • 1 tsp olive oil or butter
    • 1/4 cup butter
    • 1/4 cup flour
    • 1/2 cup heavy cream (room temperature)
    • 1 cup milk (room temperature)
    • 4 oz freshly grated gruyere cheese
    • 4 oz freshly grated gouda cheese
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • black pepper to taste
    • 1/4-1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
    • 1-2 TBSP butter

Instructions

• Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    • Chop your veggies.
    • Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts until the broccoli turns vibrantly green and all three veggies are somewhere between al-dente and fork-tender. This will take a few minutes, but no longer than 8. When your perfect texture is reached, shock the veggies in an ice bath (more info here) to halt the cooking process. No mushy veggies here! Alternatively if you'd prefer softer veggies, feel free to let them cook a smidge longer and/or skip the ice bath.
    • Place veggies in a casserole dish and set aside.
    • Drizzle a medium pot (one deep enough to make your cheese sauce in) with a little bit of olive oil or butter and caramelize your onions, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until onions are golden brown and tender.
    • Turn your burner to medium-low heat and add 1/4 cup (4 TBSP) butter.
    • Once your butter has melted, slowly mix in flour a tablespoon at a time, whisking the mixture together as you go.
    • Once your roux has begun to form a paste with the onions, add room temperature (or slightly warmed) milk and cream, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
    • Remove your pot from heat (it will begin to thicken even further at this part) and slowly add 1/2 the cheese.
    • Right about now you'll want to dive in face first with a crusty baguette. I'll look the other way if you do, but try to save the sauce for the veggies, will ya!?
    • Pour sauce over veggies, then top with the cheese you set aside earlier.
    • Next melt 1 TBSP of butter in a small skillet and add breadcrumbs. Mix constantly while toasting, then sprinkle over casserole.
    • Bake on center rack at 350 for 20 mins.
    • Prepare to swoon.
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 11-15-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast