Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   New Recipe Disaster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/new-recipe-disaster-t114683.html)

plainpat 04-09-2011 02:03 AM

We had what DH calls "the reason it's best to stick with old recipes" I just don't have much luck with new recipes & this was yucky. Sounded simple, from Kraft...ground meat with onion, add small amt of steak sauce & catsup, bake in a bisquick crust....
Meat was fresh from meat mkt I followed the recipe.......but it was just not tasty.:( :(
We ended up having dessert for dinner, so not a total loss.:thumbup:

Do you have good luck trying new recipes?

Scrap Happy 04-09-2011 02:29 AM

Yes, usually I have luck with a new recipe but sometimes a recipe just isn’t that good. Most times I don’t follow a recipe exactly and may change the amounts or add something else too. My DH’s Mom used to make something similar to what you tried without the bisquick, just ground meat, salt, pepper worcester & onions (I add fresh garlic too.) On the side she’d always make mash potatoes and peas with it. Sometimes when I make it I’ll make gravy to go with it too.

luv-e 04-09-2011 06:26 AM

Pat, Yes!!! sometimes they look and sound so much better than when you cook and taste them.......
At least you had dessert, wasn't a total loss... lol lol lol

clem55 04-09-2011 09:41 AM

yep!! Lots and lots of times, so we pretty much keep to old standbys, and once in awhile, hubs tries to do things a different way, then we call out for fast food.LOL

plainpat 04-09-2011 02:59 PM

If he cooks.....you can't complain.Eat McDees! :)

Originally Posted by clem55
yep!! Lots and lots of times, so we pretty much keep to old standbys, and once in awhile, hubs tries to do things a different way, then we call out for fast food.LOL

plainpat 04-09-2011 03:00 PM

If he had his way, a meal would be dessert :)

Originally Posted by luv-e
Pat, Yes!!! sometimes they look and sound so much better than when you cook and taste them.......
At least you had dessert, wasn't a total loss... lol lol lol

clem55 04-09-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
If he cooks.....you can't complain.Eat McDees! :)

Originally Posted by clem55

He does almost all the cooking! And when he doesn"t feel like it, we just fix whatever we want for ourselves. It sure works for me!!

b.zang 04-09-2011 07:04 PM

I often try out new recipes to take to a potluck.
My theory?
If it's terrible, well, everyone has a bit and I wasn't stuck with all this awful food at home.....
and if it's delicious, then I know to make it again for us.

plainpat 04-10-2011 02:10 AM

Lucky you!!! But I can't complain. My DH eats whatever I make & never says a word unless I complain 1st ..:thumbup:He'll do anything to help out & does a good job.

He does almost all the cooking! And when he doesn"t feel like it, we just fix whatever we want for ourselves. It sure works for me!![/quote]

girlsfour 04-10-2011 03:42 AM

I love trying new recipes. I usually do for company. It's just kind of fun to make new stuff.

If I make a particular recipe and don't overly care for it, then I cross it off in the cookbook it's in so I don't make the mistake more than once! So far, none have been horrible, but just not something I really enjoyed....