Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Not a recipe but about a recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/not-recipe-but-about-recipe-t175010.html)

Catherine Marie 01-09-2012 10:26 AM

Not a recipe but about a recipe

My DH and I celebrated our 39th anniversary with a lovely dinner at a local restaurant.
The soup of the day was Rabbit with Sage and Roasted Chestnuts. This had a cream base and OMG! was it good.
I have to buy a book put out by a local outreach centre in order to get this recipe. The centre holds 'Soupfest', an annual event which raises money by offering signature soups from city wide restaurants. The soups are served in bowls made by local potters. Participants purchase a bowl, which they keep, then tickets for at least 3 different soups. The best soup gets the most votes from those who attend the event.
I can't wait to get the book as we love soup here and this is the season for soup. Although you wouldn't know it with the winter we've had thus far- mild temps and no snow- the shoe is going to drop sooner or later. I'll be prepared with a nice pot of soup.
Anyone love soup as much as we do???? From scratch only...

Pinkiris 01-09-2012 02:38 PM

We also love homemade soups, but nothing as exotic as rabbit soup! Ours are more the standards--potato, vegetable beef, chicken noodle, cream of broccoli, etc.

Jersey Gal 01-09-2012 04:54 PM

I love soup, and make a pot of chicken or vegetable beef weekly during the winter months. Sometimes we'll have potato, tomato, or beet (borsche) soup.

dixie_fried 01-09-2012 05:19 PM

I make soup almost every week on Wednesday because my best friend comes for dinner and coffee and crafting (AKA stitch-n-*itch). Her favorite meals are soup, and I always make enough for all of us to eat and for her to take for lunch the next day. I typically bake bread on Wednesday, too...as I think fresh bread and hot soup are a match made in heaven.
Our favorites are creamy chicken and wild rice, chicken tortilla soup, tortellini soup, and Italian wedding. Sometimes you can't beat the standard chicken noodle, beef vegetable, or potato though.

susiequilt 01-09-2012 06:04 PM

creamy chicken and wild rice ..............
That sounds great and something new to me. Care to share the recipe?
:)

imdelagarza62 01-09-2012 06:13 PM

My DH and I love soups, but my oldest son is very picky and will only eat potato chowder or albondigas, (mexican meatball soup).

dixie_fried 01-09-2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt (Post 4859533)
creamy chicken and wild rice ..............
That sounds great and something new to me. Care to share the recipe?
:)

Well....I cook like I sew. Recipes and patterns are just suggestions that beg for interpretation. LOL.
But, here are the basics:

2 skinless/boneless chicken breasts
1 box Uncle Ben's wild rice with seasoning
1 or 2 celery ribs
1 or 2 carrots
a few button mushrooms
chicken bullion cubes 1 or 2, to taste
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk, more later if necessary

Cut up the chicken into cubes, place in water (about 6 cups or so...) to boil until the white goo cooks out. Strain out the floaties, but reserve broth and return it with chicken to pot. Add bullion cube to broth, put back onto heat, add chopped veggies and rice to boil for 20 or so minutes. Reserve seasoning packet from rice. When rice is nearly cooked, put butter and rice seasoning into small saucepan until butter melts. Add flour and let it get good and hot. Whisk in milk to make roux, cook until thickened stirring frequently, lest you get the lumps. Add roux to soup and heat through. If mixture is too thick, add more milk.

Great left over, but thickens up a LOT in the fridge.

Edie 01-10-2012 03:51 AM

I had to make room in the freezer so I took out a five quart container of homemade turkey noodle/rice soup. Pigged out on that last night. Something about leftover soup! We get leftovers for a few days!!!!! Edie

GailG 01-10-2012 05:15 AM

I love soups. I learned this "technique" from a teaching friend. She made soup out of any leftovers in the fridge. She could take a casserole, add broth or milk and make a delicious soup. She told me that when the grandkids walked in the door, their first question was "What's for soup?" DH doesn't go for these experiments, but it's wonderful to change leftovers for my lunch.

LenaBeena 01-10-2012 07:58 AM

I have wonderful memories of coming into my Grandmothers house on a cold winter day and smelling delicious soup. She never wasted any food and her soup was always different. A spoonful of corn, one piece of chicken, etc. went into the pot and simmered all day. I love soup as do my children and grandchildren. Only problem is my husband who is President of the Picky Eaters Club!!! He will not eat any cream based soup, or any with tomato, or any with beans. So, over the years I got smart and made soup for the rest of us and soup just for him. Sure, more work, but at least we all ate in peace.