Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Frosting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/oatmeal-cake-broiled-frosting-t95889.html)

plainpat 02-01-2011 02:27 PM

This was the 1st cake we learned to make in home ec.My Dad would ask for it often & the whole family kept the recipe.This is from TOH & lightened up a bit by using applesauce.I prefer canned evaporated milk in the frosting, but either way,Yum Yum

Ingredients
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1-1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

FROSTING:
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
In a small bowl, combine oats and water; let stand for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, applesauce and eggs. Add oat mixture; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to batter and mix well.
Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients; spread over hot cake. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Yield: 15 servings.

clem55 02-01-2011 02:49 PM

My son's favorite cake. I've not used applesauce though, bet that makes it even better

plainpat 02-01-2011 02:55 PM

It's used to replace the shortening.Also keeps it drom being dry.This was always on the table when my bro came for dinner.Without fail, he always said, this cake comes with memories. Funny how we connect food with certain times/places.

Originally Posted by clem55
My son's favorite cake. I've not used applesauce though, bet that makes it even better

pab58 02-01-2011 05:05 PM

WOW!!! I haven't made that cake is years and years!! I must say, however, that the recipe I used didn't call for applesauce. :oops: The new-and-improved version you posted is surely MUCH healthier! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!!! :thumbup: Just might have to make one!!

pdcakm 02-01-2011 05:14 PM

i love this cake. it is my favorite. i could eat the whole thing myself. lol. thanks for reminding me. i will have to make one now.

littlehud 02-01-2011 05:25 PM

Yum, that sounds good.

redquilter 02-01-2011 05:46 PM

Mmm - that sounds good. And since it has oatmeal it would make a good breakfast. Right???? :)

sewwhat85 02-01-2011 06:40 PM

sounds wonderful

olebat 02-02-2011 03:42 AM

Changing diets have reintroduced applesauce into our house too. Weekend pancakes: Krusties buttermilk pancake mix, water, vanilla flavoring, applesauce, apple pie spice. Mix to favorite consistency and cook on both sides, top with more apple sauce and cinnamon. I go heavy on the apple sauce and light on the water. Quick, flavorful satisfying.

sewmuch 02-02-2011 08:50 AM

We love this cake, made it for years, but not w/applesauce..its funny was going to make it yesterday and
didn't have enough brown sugar...will try the applesauce.