Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   One weird recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/one-weird-recipe-t63858.html)

ptquilts 09-11-2010 12:28 PM

for which recipe?

As I recall, the brains were sauteed with onions, garlic, etc. then pancakes were added. I can get you the whole recipe if you want it, but I will be wondering about you... :-(

luv-e 09-11-2010 12:34 PM

broccoli???? Gotta sneek a vegatable in there lol lol lol
I make boxed brownies and use canned drained carrots and that's it. Makes the brownies moist and again , you sneek a veggie in there.[ you do have to puree the carrots]

ptquilts 09-11-2010 12:43 PM

they found that "picky" eaters (kids) who do not like vegs, actually are tasting them differently from the rest of us. They really do taste awful to them, they are not just being picky.

luv-e 09-11-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
they found that "picky" eaters (kids) who do not like vegs, actually are tasting them differently from the rest of us. They really do taste awful to them, they are not just being picky.

Is it something that changes with age?????

twistedsheets 09-11-2010 04:19 PM

Actually as you age your taste buds do change from enviromental factors and illnesses you may have suffered. Actually if you are a smoker you may not feel a spicy food is spicy enough where a young child is spitting it out and screaming for water because their mouth is on fire. Because they have not lived long enough for effects to change their taste buds. Alot of people who I had known who quit smoking for several years were amazed how their likes and dislikes had changed about what they used to eat.

Originally Posted by luv-e

Is it something that changes with age?????

borntoquilt 09-11-2010 04:35 PM

There is so much fruit "sweet" in there, I bet you wouldn't even know the broc was in there. Get those VEGGIES anyway you can ! Now, as for the ice cream, donuts, pancakes etc. just the sause would be OK....

luv-e 09-11-2010 04:49 PM

Thanks Twistedsheets for an answer. Your right about the smoking. I got my DH to quit smoking for a wk. and he tasted and smelled things ALOT differently. Then he went back to smoking. :cry: :cry:

Carol's Quilts 09-11-2010 07:14 PM

Well, I don't know about this fruit jam or whatever it is, but as far as the brains and sweetbreads, you may as well wonder about me, too. I grew up often having calf brains made with scrambled eggs. It is actually delicious and does not have a wierd taste or texture, at least not to me. Also, sweetbreads which are breaded and fried crispy or creamed are also delicious.

The problem for me is that the stores don't carry these items any more. I used to be able to special order them, but not any more. The grocery store butcher told me they are all sent to gourmet restaurants. I guess that's all well and good because those foods are loaded with cholesteral!

One thing I CAN still get is marrow bones which I use to make beef stock along with a knuckle bone and the beef. On RARE occasions (the cholesteral thing again) I will treat myself by spreading the marrow on white bread or toast and sprinkle with a little salt. OMG, is that good! In fact, marrow on toast was featured as one of the chef's choices on Best Thing I Ever Ate.

Did you ever see chef Chris Cosentino on Chefs vs. City? Well at his California restaurant, he specializes in offal and knows all about brains, sweetbreads and marrow along with all the pork dishes he prepares.

I guess it all depends on what you grew up with. Anyway, I guess I will stop now.

P.S. I really am not wierd!

borntoquilt 09-12-2010 07:54 AM

My girlfriend had 6 kids in their family. They ate WHAT EVER was put on the table. It was there, so they ate it. Another friend (who is an EXCELLENT cook) with 3 kids lived in Arabia for 3 years so her kids also ate what was put on the table. I lived with for a month and was amazed @ the international food served in their home. Ironically enough, the kids FAVORITE food was kalamari in a tomato base. They always called it RUBBER BANDS. Even the 2 year old liked. So, NO, you are not weird. As you say, it's what you grew up with...

dixiechunk 09-12-2010 02:58 PM

I recently read that too but I haven't actually seen the "science" behind it.