Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   PANZANELLA--YUMMY (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/panzanella-yummy-t131639.html)

mayday 06-19-2011 10:08 AM

1 small loaf 2/3 days old---- I used sour dough
1 small cucumber rough chopped
1 large red onion rough chopped
3 large very ripe tomatoes rough chopped
5 tablsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tablsp red wine vinegar
2tablsp rinsed capers
1--2 teasp sugar
12 basil leaves rough cut
sae salt/pepper

Can be eaten alone or served with fish ,cold meats etc.
It is yummy/cheap/quick/healthy and uses up stale bread.
Do try, it reminds me of Italy

purplemem 06-19-2011 10:12 AM

This sounds like a dumb question but... do you stuff this inside the bread? Spread on the bread and toast?

How do you serve this? It sounds delicious but I need more info...

I didn't mean the recipe was dumb! That never occurred to me! I meant I'm dumb because I've never heard of Panzanella...

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

babyfireo4 06-19-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
This sounds dumb, do you stuff this inside the bread? Spread on the bread and toast?

I don't think it sounds dumb at all. I think it's a great idea and sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe :)

ljfox 06-19-2011 10:27 AM

I don't think purplemem meant that the recipe was dumb. I think she meant that she felt her question about what to do with the bread was dumb. But it isn't. I was wondering the same thing!

purplemem 06-19-2011 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ljfox
I don't think purplemem meant that the recipe was dumb. I think she meant that she felt her question about what to do with the bread was dumb. But it isn't. I was wondering the same thing!

Thanks, LJ.

I edited my post to clarify.

JanetM 06-19-2011 10:36 AM

It sounds to me like a bread salad, where the bread is broken into bite sized pieces, and tossed with the veggies and dressing. It sounds delicious.

thepolyparrot 06-19-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
It sounds to me like a bread salad, where the bread is broken into bite sized pieces, and tossed with the veggies and dressing. It sounds delicious.

Exactly! :) It originated in Tuscany and lots of the restaurants there serve it - it sounds a bit strange, but it's DELICIOUS.

Don't use ordinary bread - it will turn into moosh.

Use heavy sourdough or Italian bread - something that takes real chewing. :)

mayday 06-19-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
This sounds like a dumb question but... do you stuff this inside the bread? Spread on the bread and toast?

I didn't mean the recipe was dumb! That never occurred to me! I meant I'm dumb because I've never heard of Panzanella...

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

I serve it in a bowl, a lunch in itself ,or to accompany fish cold/mea--especially in summer.
You merely put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix; it is rather like an bread/veg salad but so tasty.

Bailey's mom 06-19-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
1 small loaf 2/3 days old---- I used sour dough
1 small cucumber rough chopped
1 large red onion rough chopped
3 large very ripe tomatoes rough chopped
5 tablsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tablsp red wine vinegar
2tablsp rinsed capers
1--2 teasp sugar
12 basil leaves rough cut
sae salt/pepper

Can be eaten alone or served with fish ,cold meats etc.
It is yummy/cheap/quick/healthy and uses up stale bread.
Do try, it reminds me of Italy

Sounds simply delecious! Thank you for sharing it with us! I am having trouble swallowing after surgery but I am going to try this tonihgt. It seems that as long as I can eat slowly and it is muchy I can do it!

JanetM 06-19-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by JanetM

Exactly! :) It originated in Tuscany and lots of the restaurants there serve it - it sounds a bit strange, but it's DELICIOUS.

Don't use ordinary bread - it will turn into moosh.

Use heavy sourdough or Italian bread - something that takes real chewing. :)

Heehee, I was correct. This is a perfect recipe for my husband and me because all too often I end up throwing out half a loaf of bread.

:-D :D