Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Piecrust woes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/piecrust-woes-t206733.html)

Joyce DeBacco 11-23-2012 07:15 AM

Piecrust woes

First, let me say that I've never been able to master the art of making a decent piecrust. Never. And I've tried all through my married life. So when Pillsbury developed pre-rolled piecrust, I rejoiced. But even there, I have problems. While I don't have to worry about rolling it out and scraping the results off my counter to a pie plate, I can't seem to get the bottom crust to bake properly. It always seems undercooked no matter what kind of pie it is.

I place them on the center rack and use the right temperature, so what am I doing wrong? In my own defense, the turkey and side dishes were all great, so it's not that I'm a lousy cook in general. Help.

piepatch 11-23-2012 07:26 AM

Try setting your pie on a pizza/bread stone to bake. Or, bake the pie on a lower oven rack.

mountain-moma 11-23-2012 11:48 AM

Do you Perheat the oven frist ...I have a Pie Crust recipe that has never fail me yet been making them for yrs.If you would like it just give me a holler

Tartan 11-23-2012 01:19 PM

I have made many a pie in my day and I use the ratio of 2 cups all-purpose flour to a 2/3 cup Crisco for one 2 crust pie or 2 pie shells. I use a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the flour until it looks like oatmeal. I add enough cold water to form it into 2 balls. Try not to overwork your dough as it makes it tough.
You can replace some water with vodka for an even flakier crust at a 1:1 ratio. Refrigerating empty pie shells also helps for a flakier crust. I roll out my pie crust on a piece of floured WAX PAPER to make it easier to pick it up and get into the pie plate. Start cooking your pie at 400* for 10 minutes and then turn the oven down for the rest of the cooking time. Try making pies again when it isn't a special occasion and you will probably have more luck. CONGRATULATIONS on a perfect turkey because that is the star attraction after all.

Tothill 11-23-2012 05:22 PM

I bake pies in the lower third of the oven, not the centre. That helps the bottom crust to brown.

I also preheat the over to 400 degrees and bake it at that temp for about 15 minutes then lower the temp to 350 or so and finish baking it.

If you butter the bottom crust before adding the filling it will help to avoid a soggy crust that soaks up all the liquid too.

dgeskine 11-23-2012 07:19 PM

When I bake pumpkin pies, the crust is never crisp; I always thought that was how they were supposed to be and have enjoyed many of them over the years. :)

sweetana3 11-24-2012 03:55 AM

I use a glass pie plate and can actually see what is going on underneath. Different pans cook the crusts in different ways.

oleganny 11-24-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by dgeskine (Post 5675548)
When I bake pumpkin pies, the crust is never crisp; I always thought that was how they were supposed to be and have enjoyed many of them over the years. :)

Prebake your pie crust for a few minutes before putting the filling in - that will eliminate the soggy crust syndrome

Lyncat 11-24-2012 06:48 AM

I use a stoneware pie pan. It cooks evenly from the edge to the middle. Last summer I practiced and practiced until my dear SIL told me I had mastered the pie crust.

#1piecemaker 11-24-2012 06:53 AM

The simpliest recipe I've ever found is my mama's No Fail Piecrust. All you need is 1 stick butter melted. 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour. (if you can find WR Flour, it is the best) simply mix it with a fork and them press it into your pie pan with your fingers. WAAALAAA! Great crust !! I use Blue Bonnet margarine and I melt it in the microwave in the pieplate I am going to use. Soooooo easy!