Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Porcupines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/porcupines-t310770.html)

tranum 04-27-2020 03:14 PM

Porcupines

I have Porcupines in the oven. Been making them for 55 years & they sounded good tonight. I doubled the recipe because leverovers always get eaten at our house. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix it up.

1# ground beef
Chopped onion
Salt & pepper
1/2 cup rice
1 cup milk

Combine above. Mixture will be sloppy. Make large meatballs & lay in lightly greased oven pan. Can be double layered if necessary. Top with a can of condensed tomato soup. Do not dilute. Bake covered about 1 hour or so in 350 oven. 2# made 15 meatballs.

mindless 04-27-2020 03:24 PM

yum!
thanks! this is now on my list....maybe tomorrow night. ;)

QuiltE 04-28-2020 09:41 AM

A favourite of mine too.
Though my recipe does not add milk or any liquid to the meat mixture. Once formed I brown in a deep skillet, then add the tomato soup.

Sometimes for a switch up, I use Cream of Mushroom soup!!

tranum 04-28-2020 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8381461)
A favourite of mine too.
Though my recipe does not add milk or any liquid to the meat mixture. Once formed I brown in a deep skillet, then add the tomato soup.

Sometimes for a switch up, I use Cream of Mushroom soup!!

That would be good too !

QuiltE 04-28-2020 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8381464)
That would be good too !

As a bit of a joke, I renamed the mushroom version as "hedgehogs" just to make it sound different! More mushrooms added to the mix is always good too.

Iceblossom 04-28-2020 03:16 PM

Do you cook the rice first or is it instant style??

I made teriyaki style with leftover cooked rice, teriyaki glaze, and pineapple tidbits... can also use sweet and sour type sauce/vegetables. Can then put over more rice! Next to everything bagels, I miss rice the most in my low carb life style.

Irishrose2 04-28-2020 11:27 PM

I made these often when my children were growing up. I recently made them for a daughter who had a knee replacement. She loved her 'blast from the past'.
No milk in mine and I add Worcestershire sauce to the soup. They are so cute!

ka9sdn 04-29-2020 03:43 AM

Thanks for a reminder. I used to make these often but have not in a few years! Time to make some.

zennia 05-02-2020 03:51 AM

My dad who loved to cook would make these. As kids we loved them. I am going to put them on my menu for the upcoming week. Thank You .

tranum 05-02-2020 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8381531)
Do you cook the rice first or is it instant style??

I made teriyaki style with leftover cooked rice, teriyaki glaze, and pineapple tidbits... can also use sweet and sour type sauce/vegetables. Can then put over more rice! Next to everything bagels, I miss rice the most in my low carb life style.

I’ve always used regular dry rice straight from the bag & I actually bake it 90 minutes even if the recipe says shorter. I guess it depends on your oven.
I would think instant rice works then less baking time.