Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Pork Loin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/pork-loin-t236106.html)

Jo M 12-05-2013 04:44 PM

Here's a really good recipe for you. Everyone we've ever served this to loves it.

PORK TENDERLOIN WITH APPLES & RED CABBAGE

2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided use
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar, divided use
2 Tablespoons brown sugar, divided use
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pound pork tenderloin
2 medium tart apples (such as Granny Smith)
8 ounces (about 4 cups) shredded red cabbage
Salt & Pepper

In a zip-top bag, combine 1 & 1/2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon brown sugar & mustard. Add pork, seal bag and refrigerate. Let marinate about 20 minutes, up to overnight.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork 10 minutes, turning often.

Peel and slice apples.

Put pork on plate.

Add cabbage to skillet; sauté 5 minutes.

Stir in vinegar and brown sugar; season with salt & pepper.

Add apples.

Place pork on cabbage mixture, cover pan and cook about 10 minutes.

Serves 4.

Jackie Spencer 12-05-2013 05:19 PM

Check out Smucker's web site, lots of good recipes on there!

Kris P 12-06-2013 06:15 AM

I come from a long line of pork producers, so here's our favorite ways to cook pork loin.

My mom (world's best cook) uses this method: Marinade it overnight in an oven bag made for roasting turkeys. (she uses a mixture of season salt, garlic, onion powder, soy sauce and sesame oil.) Then braise it on the grill to seal in the juices. Next she returns it to the oven bag and roasts it in either the oven or a large roaster(depending on the number of loins she's preparing). I'm not sure how low she sets the roaster, but I'm thinking 300 to 325. It usually takes a couple of hours. The great part about this method is that none of the juices evaporate, the remain in the bag and the meat cooks in them. The result is so tender and juicy. This is the family favorite for our Christmas in July party at my parents' farm. Last summer we had 130 family attending. What a great time!

Here at home, we tend to cut the loins into very thick loin chops (1 1/2 inches thick) and marinade them in a McCormick Grillmates marinade packet - Our favorite is Brown Sugar Bourbon. My husband grills them on the gas grill until they are just done. Remember the USDA lowered the safe cooking temp for pork to 145 degrees F. Remember to let it set for 5 minutes before you cut any meat, so the juices can be reabsorbed into the meat fibers.

Pat75 12-06-2013 08:23 AM

I use a rub from Bobby Flay the recipe is available on line and I also inject it with a chipotle marinade and bake it and always use a meat thermometer . It is a great investment in having perfect food and dirt cheap at Walmart.

Krystyna 12-08-2013 06:29 AM

On occasion I love cooking it in a roasting pan on a bed of sauerkraut, sauteed onion, sliced apples and sliced potatoes. I cover it for most of the cooking and take off the foil to brown. Sounds weird, but it's delicious and you have your main dish and sides all in one!

QuiltingWillie 12-08-2013 12:17 PM

Rosemary & Garlic Pork Loin

Originally Posted by sharon1 (Post 6440163)
I am looking for a good recipe for a moist pork loin. I have put it on the spit on the grill and basted the loin with appricot jelly and it is great but was wanting to do something different.

I've always enjoyed doing my pork loins by making smal incisions into the pork an inserting slices of garlic and pieces of fresh rosemary. I always finish it off a rub of olive oil and salt & pepper. You can roast in the oven, grill, or toss in the crock pot. I hope this gives you some idea.

Sandygirl 12-08-2013 03:46 PM

I love mine with garlic and fennel seed.

Or dump jar a sour kraut over it. I use my crock pot.

sandy

clump 12-09-2013 03:38 AM

cut loin into 1/4 in thick medalons sear in skillet add sliced onion remove pork loin before fully cooked finish cooking onions add pork back to skillet add 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 cup jelly or jam grape apple and apricot ar my favorites but use what u like finish cooking mixing together cooking down vinegar and jam to a syrup sweet and sour loin be careful when u add vinegar it will steam this deglazes the pan