Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Potato Soup Recipe wanted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/potato-soup-recipe-wanted-t167651.html)

0tis 11-11-2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow (Post 4666135)
This is the easiest potato soup recipe.

Peel potatoes and chunk them up
Diced celery, diced onions and I like carrots so I shred them
Cover with chicken broth to cook until tender.
I add one can of evaporated milk and half a stick of butter.
Salt and Pepper to taste
Add potato flakes to thicken as desired.

We like crumbled sausage and cheese on it with finished. Serve with sourdough crutons.

I don't measure anything because it depends on how much I want to make. I don't like it leftover so we usually just make enough for lunch.

I pretty much use the same recipe except I usually don't add carrots - I add lots of celery and onions - when I want clam chowder - I just make the same and add clams to the mix.

Anyway, after sauteing the celery onion mix - I add water, canned milk (or regular milk - depending on what I have) then I cut all my potatoes into uniform little cubes - add salt pepper and butter. Usually cooks for about 45 mins - when the potatoes are soft.
I always make homemade croutons to go with it. I cube up leftover bread (french or sourdough are the best) then melt butter and garlic together - then pour the mix over the cubes - place in the oven about 400 for about 10-15mins -make sure and turn them and keep an eye on them. This really makes the soup way better. Hope this helps.

Marysewfun 11-11-2011 03:33 PM

Our potato soup - passed down through the family and great when someone isn't feeling good -

Peel and dice potatoes (a fair amount) boil until "just" tender - not mushy and drain. While the potatoes have been boiling, take and slice an onion (a good amount) and then coarsely dice, and some clove garlic. Gently cook some chopped bacon in the skillet, take out and drain, throw the onion and garlic into the bacon fat until sort of transparent, take out and drain. Put the potatoes into a pot, add milk (a little canned and some regular), a little garlic powder and some butter and get it all nice and warm. Then add in the bacon and onion mixture you just did above and let sit (or lightly simmer) for a bit. You can sparingly use a potato masher to some of the potatoes to make a little thicker - - - - and then a bonus: you can also throw a can or two of chopped clams and juice in and have excellent clam chowder.

Mom always made it when I was growing up, my family, and my daughter's family also. If you're not feeling good, have a nice warm bowl and then go jump into bed for a couple hours, guaranteed you will feel better!! :-)

Marysewfun

QuiltingSister 11-11-2011 04:12 PM

This recipe has always been my "go to" quick potato soup recipe....
Fry up several slices of bacon which have been chopped into small pieces, along with as much onion and celery as you like. While the bacon and onion is cooking, cube up about 2-3 pounds of red potatoes (I don't even peel them, but you could). Remove
the bacon, celery & onion from fry pan, and add potatoes. Cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes, stirring once in a while. When potatoes are nearly done, drain any excess grease from pan and add the bacon, celery and onion back in along with with a can of cream of chicken soup and about 1/2 cup of sour cream and a can of whole kernel corn. Once this comes to a
low simmer, if you want it thinner just add a little milk. You can salt and pepper to taste, but the chicken soup is salty
enough for our taste, so check it first. It's actually more of a potato chowder, and is delicious. Takes about 1/2 hour from start to finish :-)

gigi57 11-11-2011 04:31 PM

I just made this a couple of nights ago and family loves it:
Peel and slice 6-8 potatos-dice 1 onion and add to potatos
Boil until tender-drain excess water
Add milk to cover potatoes
Add 1 stick butter and 1 package cream cheese-cutting cream cheese into small chuncks
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook on low heat until cream cheese has melted stirring frequently.

This soup always comes out thick and is a crowd pleaser

grann of 6 11-11-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by gramacheri (Post 4665955)
I would love to have a good recipe for Potato Soup that could be done in the crock pot (or stove top.) I'd like it to
be a thick soup, not just milky. Thanks everyone!

I make a good potato soup. I don't have a recipe as such. If I have leeks, I will saute them till they are soft. Then I add them to cut up potatoes in a pot with a little water just to cover. I also add some shredded or sliced carrot, sliced or chopped celery, cook all that till it is tender, then add some chicken broth, a little milk if desired. I then use my immersion blender to cream it. But leave some chunks. Then I add crumbled bacon. When I serve it I sprinkle a little shredded cheese over the top. I love this. Season it to suit your taste.

Weenween 11-11-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1qwilter48 (Post 4667195)
i've used this recipe for sooo many years. Grandma webster who babysat us in gary in made this for us. Diced potatoes, diced onions, cook until tender, add butter and milk, simmer til warmed through. When you start adding celery, carrots, etc., it's vegetable soup, not potato soup to me. Dh not crazy about this soup because there is no "meat" in it. But i love this recipe and it's the one i stick with. I can eat the whole pot by myself no problem.

that is how i make mine also we love it a lot i make it several times in the winter.

resource fabricologist 11-11-2011 05:54 PM

Hearty Bacon Potato Chowder

1/2 lb. bacon cut into 1" pieces
2 c. cubed potatoes
1/2 small onion, diced
1/4 c. celery, diced
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. 2% or whole milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. frozen corn
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
8 oz ( 1 c.) sour cream ( add last)

In a 3 qt. sauce pan, cook bacon over medium heat for approx. 10 min. Add potatoes, onion, celery and water. Cook and stir approx. 15-20 min. until potatoes are tender. Add remaining ingred. except sour cream.Continue cooking stirring occasionallyuntil heated through. Approx. 10-12 min. Stir in sour cream and heat till warmed through. This recipe is very thick and we like this recipe so much, I always double the recipe....except the bacon.

Can serve with soft bacon bits on top and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.

Scissor Queen 11-11-2011 07:50 PM

My potato soup,

2 to 3 slices of bacon, diced fine
1 medium onion, diced

Cook the bacon in your soup pot over low heat until the fat starts to cook out. Add the onions and cook until translucent.

Add,

2 to 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes.
a Tablespoon of dried parsley flakes, crushed
a teaspoon and a half of dried celery flakes, crushed
a teaspoon of salt
just enough water to cover the potatoes

Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender. When the potatoes are done add enough milk to bring it to your desired soupiness level.

suzm 11-12-2011 07:30 AM

Ever made mashed potatos from scratch? Peel & cut up your taters, add enough water to cover them, salt & pepper. When they reach the mashing stage, lighty mash. at this point you need corn starch and a small can of evapored milk and one stick of butter. Open canned milk and dilute with water, if your soup gets too thick, use this to thin it. Now the corn starch is used to thicken the soup (kind of a balancing act at this point). One or two tablespoons of corn starch mixed with HOT water - keeps it from lumping - must add while corn starch mixture is hot. Pout and stir into taters at the same time. May not need all of the mixture. If it gets too thick use the milk to thin - drop a stick of butter in the soup stir. This is a stove top recipe - Dish into bowls and enjoy - may need a bit more salt & pepper to taste. Hot cornbread makes a great side dish.

marjean36 11-12-2011 07:43 AM

Hrarty Potato Soup

6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, diced
6 celery stalks, diced
2 quarts water
1 onion, chopped
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 cups milk

In a large kettle cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
In the same kettle, saute onion in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt and pepper: gradually add milk,
stirring constantly until thinckened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is of desired consistency.
Yeild: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts.

This is from Taste of Home several years ago. You can add crumbled bacon and cheese or other toppings.
It is a good soup that you can make the consistency you like by adding the liquid at the end.