Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Potato Soup Recipe wanted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/potato-soup-recipe-wanted-t167651.html)

Dakota Girl 11-12-2011 12:39 PM

Here are the ingredients, that I use for potato soup. You don't really have to measure, just add for the quantity of soup you want to make. Cook bacon slices until crisp, crumble. Saute onions in same pan as you used to cook the bacon, minus the grease(you can add a bit of margarine, butter or oil.) Cook onions until soft and a bit browned. Add together with milk,
add a can of corn, juice and all. Thicken with instant potatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add a can or two of evaporated milk for richness. This works in crock pot or on top of the stove.

Honchey 11-12-2011 01:24 PM

Hi, I slice equal parts of leeks and onions...saute in butter until transparent..add sliced raw potatoes and cover with chicken broth until the potatoes are cooked... use a hand blender and pulse it until you get the consistancy you want..add half and half. This is a thick soup..if you want it thinner..when cooking the mixture cover the potatoes with more chicken broth... this is my version of the French vichysoisse. I serve it hot with sprinkled chives.

kathome 11-12-2011 01:46 PM

My potato soup began many years ago as a way to use up leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner. Basically, here's what I do:

Cook up some bacon till crisp and set aside for now
in the same frying pan saute onion and celery till soft with parsley, salt and pepper. (if you have leftover stuffing use that instead)
Either make fresh mashed potatoes or use leftover and put in a nice big pot. Add more milk and double strong chicken stock (add some extra bouillon) till the mashed potatoes are as thin or thick as you desire. If you have leftover gravy throw that in too. It's excellent with the gravy added.
Add your veggies and let it simmer for a bit to meld the flavors.

(sorry there are no specific measurements but that all depends on how much mashed potatoes you have)

Put into bowls and top with some cheddar cheese and the bacon crumbles.

Enjoy!!

Susan G. 11-12-2011 01:59 PM

I make a thick hearty potatoe soup. Peel and dice potatoes, dice a med. onion and about 1/2 lb. carrots. Boil just covered with water. I add 2 cubes of chicked bouillon at this time. Salt and pepper to taste. Boil until veg. are fork tender. Add 1/2 bag frozen cauliflower and 1 bag (sm.) broccoli. Add 2-3 tbsp. butter. Cover with milk. Boil until broc. and caul. are thalled and warm. Cube 1 lb. velveeta cheese and add to the soup. Cook until cheese is melted. This will get thick and is yummy. I add celery if I have it. My family loves it.

DeniseP 11-12-2011 05:51 PM

Just like using rice in a soup recipe, the starch adds "paste" to the soup. My mom started cooking rice or potatoes separately in another pot and then adding them to the soup. Also, be careful not to overcook.
No more paste!

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4666281)
I make assorted veggie soups much the same as these recipes, but whenever I make it as all potato soup (with a bit of onions, celery, carrots for flavour) it comes out like wallpaper paste!

Please do tell ... what's the secret?

d.rickman 11-13-2011 06:20 AM

German Potato Soup
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
12 large Idaho potatoes
4 large onions
2 qt. tomato juice
1/4 lb. margarine
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. flour
1 Tbsp. salt
pepper to taste

Dice potatoes and onion small. Cover in water; cook
until tender. Add tomato juice, margarine, salt and pepper.
Take vinegar in small mixing bowl; add flour. Make paste
smooth. Pour into soup; stir constantly until comes to boil
well. Makes about 2 gallons.

I just cut it down accordingly to fit the pot I'm using, this is the full recipe above feeds a large group.

Cut down for 4 people:

3 potatoes
1 onion
3 cups tomatoe juice,
2 tbsp butter/margarine
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste - add vinegar/flour paste about 10 minutes before you want to serve, this will thicken your soup.

sewnbug 11-13-2011 01:10 PM

I start with cubed potatoes, add diced onion, celery, and thick slices of beef kielbasa. Cook in water to cover till tender then add milk and cream. I then add cheese dumplings. Yummy. It gets better reheated.

Phyllis nm 11-13-2011 06:51 PM

fast potato soup:
All above sounds good but I only cook for myself now, and I am a fast cook.<o:p></o:p>
I peel and dice my potatoes, wrap with saran or put in a bowl and cover with saran.<o:p></o:p>
Then I nuke them.<o:p></o:p>
Take out and mash a few times with a potato masher.<o:p></o:p>
Add diced onions and celery if on hand, and add milk., salt and lots of pepper.<o:p></o:p>
Then nuke to reheat.<o:p></o:p>
If you want bacon, take bacon bits and broil them to make them crisp, then add to soup or salad. <o:p></o:p>
Broiling the bits add 3 times the flavor of bacon.<o:p></o:p>
The soup will thicken on it’s own because the starch in still in the potatoes,[not boiled away precooking and poring off].<o:p></o:p>
I eat with Ritz’s crackers.<o:p></o:p>

jayelee 11-13-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1qwilter48 (Post 4667195)
I've used this recipe for sooo many years. Grandma Webster who babysat us in Gary IN made this for us. Diced potatoes, diced onions, cook until tender, add butter and milk, simmer til warmed through. When you start adding celery, carrots, etc., it's vegetable soup, not potato soup to me. DH not crazy about this soup because there is no "meat" in it. But I love this recipe and it's the one I stick with. I can eat the whole pot by myself no problem.

Mine is done this way only I add chunks of ham sometimes also just after i get the butter and milk warmed up in it I add two tablespoons of cornstarch to a cup of milk and mix it in makes it thick and yummy

khenderson2 11-13-2011 08:19 PM

cream of mushroom soup campell-diced celery, onions,stick butter,ham,one can evaported milk and 2% milk after potatoes are done and veg. add everything else. add milk last