Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Recipe to stop coughing. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/recipe-stop-coughing-t301934.html)

Onebyone 01-01-2019 11:33 AM

Recipe to stop coughing.

I was browsing an old cookbook I found at a yard sale some time ago and this was handwritten on a piece of paper. Don't know if it works or not but worth a try. I had to correct some spelling and abbreviations.

To Stop Coughing
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
Dissolve cayenne and ginger in cider vinegar and water. Add honey and shake. Take a swallow.

Tartan 01-01-2019 12:23 PM

Honey and lemon are good to coat an iratated throat that may be causing the cough and the cayenne pepper would sure clear out your stuffy nose.

Battle Axe 01-01-2019 01:06 PM

My folks used to give us honey, lemon and whiskey. It worked and everyone got to sleep.

Tothill 01-01-2019 01:22 PM

30+ years ago and elderly German lady told me to drink hot orange juice, when I had a cough. It works for me. It even helped when I had pneumonia.

I cannot abide honey. I remember someone giving me honey and lemon as a child. It made me gag.

Onebyone 01-01-2019 06:38 PM

I mixed up a batch. It's very potent! No one here has a cough to try it out though.

cashs_mom 01-01-2019 07:32 PM

Honey and lemon is good for a cough. I just use some peppermint oil rubbed on the outside of my throat. It seems to stop the cough fast

time2quilt 01-03-2019 07:21 AM

I wish I could remember the exact technique but my Grandma used to bake a half lemon with honey and it worked great for coughs. I can't remember if there were other ingredients or not. I DO KNOW there was NO whiskey or alcohol. She was a tee-totaler. (sp?)

tuckyquilter 01-03-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8185211)
I was browsing an old cookbook I found at a yard sale some time ago and this was handwritten on a piece of paper. Don't know if it works or not but worth a try. I had to correct some spelling and abbreviations.

To Stop Coughing
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
Dissolve cayenne and ginger in cider vinegar and water. Add honey and shake. Take a swallow.

Only thing I would do is to add diced WHITE onion with the vinegar & water and cook until onions are very soft. Drain the liquid into a container and then add the rest of the stuff.

Also, the Honeysuckle youtube channel has a great homemade cough/cold syrup that has really worked for me.

bakermom 01-03-2019 06:29 PM

My BIL makes up something like that, he swears by it but I can;t get past the cayenne pepper.
Dad used to give us a spoon full of honey with lemon juice if we had a cough or sore throat

Onebyone 01-04-2019 07:15 AM

My neighbor is a MD. I showed him the recipe. He said it would help if the cough was caused by a dry throat.