Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Recipe to stop coughing.

Recipe to stop coughing.

I was browsing an old cookbook I found at a yard sale some time ago and this was handwritten on a piece of paper. Don't know if it works or not but worth a try. I had to correct some spelling and abbreviations.

To Stop Coughing
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon honey
    Dissolve cayenne and ginger in cider vinegar and water. Add honey and shake. Take a swallow.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Honey and lemon are good to coat an iratated throat that may be causing the cough and the cayenne pepper would sure clear out your stuffy nose.

Blog Entries
    My folks used to give us honey, lemon and whiskey. It worked and everyone got to sleep.

Blog Entries
    30+ years ago and elderly German lady told me to drink hot orange juice, when I had a cough. It works for me. It even helped when I had pneumonia.

I cannot abide honey. I remember someone giving me honey and lemon as a child. It made me gag.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I mixed up a batch. It's very potent! No one here has a cough to try it out though.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Honey and lemon is good for a cough. I just use some peppermint oil rubbed on the outside of my throat. It seems to stop the cough fast
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I wish I could remember the exact technique but my Grandma used to bake a half lemon with honey and it worked great for coughs. I can't remember if there were other ingredients or not. I DO KNOW there was NO whiskey or alcohol. She was a tee-totaler. (sp?)
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I was browsing an old cookbook I found at a yard sale some time ago and this was handwritten on a piece of paper. Don't know if it works or not but worth a try. I had to correct some spelling and abbreviations.

To Stop Coughing
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon honey
    Dissolve cayenne and ginger in cider vinegar and water. Add honey and shake. Take a swallow.
    Only thing I would do is to add diced WHITE onion with the vinegar & water and cook until onions are very soft. Drain the liquid into a container and then add the rest of the stuff.

Also, the Honeysuckle youtube channel has a great homemade cough/cold syrup that has really worked for me.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

My BIL makes up something like that, he swears by it but I can;t get past the cayenne pepper.
    Dad used to give us a spoon full of honey with lemon juice if we had a cough or sore throat

My neighbor is a MD. I showed him the recipe. He said it would help if the cough was caused by a dry throat.

I tried a similar recipe last week when I was coughing, congested and aching. In addition to the cayenne pepper, ginger, apple cider vinegar, honey and water, crushed garlic was included. That recipe said to drink it by the cupful but I could only get down one swallow at a time. It worked great in reducing cough and cold/flu but not appealing.

Honey, lemon and boiling water has always been our family's go-to for a cough. The new thing now is CBD oil (for those of you that live in a pro-Cannabis state.) I rub some on my chest and it seems to settle the rattling. There's also an herbal remedy called, "Clear Lungs," which has helped me a lot as an emergency when I ran out of asthma meds. I wouldn't take it all the time, but for short term, it works well. You can find it at most drug and health food stores.

At bedtime smear Vicks Vapour Rub liberally on soles of feet, put on a pair of socks!!! Sounds weird...but it works!!!!��
    Hilary

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    At bedtime smear Vicks Vapour Rub liberally on soles of feet, put on a pair of socks!!! Sounds weird...but it works!!!!��
    Yes, it does!

Cannot tolerate the smell of Vicks or Tree Tree Oil or pain cream. If you have any of that on then I will quietly slip away from the room. I have had to leave a quilt class before because one quilter had rubbed Tree Tea Oil lotion all over her neck. Later I heard several had complained about it. I just packed up and left.

I love the smell of Vicks and pain relieving creams, lol. Had DH pick up a jar of Vicks on the way home from work a couple of weeks ago. Have had a cold/respiratory virus that has been going around, and it really hangs on. Love my Vicks, slather it on chest and neck. I've retired, so other than DH, not really impacting anyone else with smell. If I was sick, I'd not go to a class anyhow out of respect for others in the class - thoughtless to risk infecting them.

The recipe given sounds like it would be really hard to get down. What I'm really wondering, though is: Doesn't the cayenne pepper cause coughing??

It tasted strong but not cayenne hot.
    When we have a sickness in the house I boil vinegar and carry the pot of stream of it through out the house. It cleans the air of germs. The smell goes away in a couple of minutes. It works. When I was little I remember women use to to this when an elderly person was confided to bed. Cleaned the air of the off smells. Much more natural then canned air fresheners.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 01-06-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    It tasted strong but not cayenne hot.
    When we have a sickness in the house I boil vinegar and carry the pot of stream of it through out the house. It cleans the air of germs. The smell goes away in a couple of minutes. It works. When I was little I remember women use to to this when an elderly person was confided to bed. Cleaned the air of the off smells. Much more natural then canned air fresheners.
    That would make sense- a bowl or two of vinegar in a room will remove bad odors or smoke. Many years ago a neighbor forgot eggs on the stove and they boiled dry and scorched. He couldn't get rid of the smell. I told him about the vinegar and he reluctantly tried it. He was so surprised how well it worked.

Lol, I love the smell of vinegar.