Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Roaster Ovens (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/roaster-ovens-t272292.html)

Onebyone 11-16-2015 06:42 PM

I bought a cheap one at Walmart a few years ago when my old one quit working. It does a much better job then the old expensive one. A big turkey gets done and brown in a couple of hours and the meat does not dry out.

Geri B 11-17-2015 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by patski (Post 7377603)
I bought one last year for $39 and it browned the turkey & I never basted it! It was one of the best turkeys, the house stayed cool and I had the oven for other things!

Me too! Going to use it again this turkey day

ManiacQuilter2 11-17-2015 06:34 AM

When I was cooking turkeys for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I always borrowed my Mother's and I believe I put an aluminum foil tent on top. It came out perfect every time. And for the record, I am a lousy cook.

rjwilder 11-17-2015 07:23 AM

I bought this one at Wal-Mart. We used it last Sunday and it worked great and it browned the turkey. We needed the biggest one we could find because we were feeding a large church group.
[h=4]Oster 26-Pound <mark style="box-sizing: border-box; background-color: inherit; color: inherit; font-weight: 600; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Roaster</mark> <mark style="box-sizing: border-box; background-color: inherit; color: inherit; font-weight: 600; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Oven</mark> with Self-Basting Lid, 22 qt, CKSTRS23-SB $59.99[/h]

Carol34446 11-17-2015 11:11 AM

I have one that belonged to my step father, who would be well over 100 now. It works great and much better in warm weather than an oven. I always baste, but turkey comes out great.
I also use a big toaster oven and make bread, cakes and broil meat in it, again in the heat much better to have this on and propane is out of sight here now too.

SewExtremeSeams 11-17-2015 05:14 PM

We bought one last year like rjwilder's but did not use it. Long story! Anyway, since we are raising and selling turkeys this year we will be using it often. I am looking forward to using it and having my oven free to use for other things.

Sandra in Minnesota 11-18-2015 10:22 AM

We had a Hamilton Beach many years ago, and we used it mainly to do the turkey. It was wonderful - Mom did baste the turkey - anyway it was nice and brown. Yum - those were the good old days!

zennia 11-23-2015 04:09 AM

My cheap one from Wal-Mart not only browns the turkey but also leaves it very juicy. I love it.

Geri B 11-27-2015 05:45 AM

Well, turkey in roaster and ham in large oval crockpot both came out Delish......kitchen counter was a lineup of crocks....green bean casserole, chunked sweet potatoes, ham, turkey...only thing in oven was stuffing and parsley potatoes......very few leftovers and thank heaven it's over!

tessagin 11-27-2015 06:10 AM

We had large family gatherings and had 2 roasters going. My mother and aunts only used the oven to warm dishes up or just keep them warm. miss those days.