Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/slow-cooker-pulled-pork-t278443.html)

jjs56 05-08-2016 05:07 AM

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

I'm sure this has been on here at some point, but I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm repeating something. Put a cut-up boneless pork loin, or boneless pork chops in your slow cooker and cover with root beer (I like the real sugar ones the best for this) or apple juice and cook 8 hours on low or 4 to 6 on high until the pork falls apart. Remove the pork from the liquid, break up with a fork, and mix in your favorite barbecue sauce for great pulled pork sandwiches.

jjsnacks 05-08-2016 05:19 AM

I do this with apple juice .mmmmmmm can taste & smell it as I write ...lovely

ManiacQuilter2 05-08-2016 05:52 AM

I agrees sounds and smells delicious.

tranum 05-08-2016 08:20 PM

As for personal taste, I like a bone-in pork shoulder or butt. The bone gives it real flavor. Strain off juices when done and chill. Skim off fat and pour the flavorful juice over pulled pork. Makes great sandwiches or Pork Carnitas.

bneuen 05-09-2016 03:50 AM

I just did baby back ribs in my crockpot yesterday for my mom for mother's day. I seared the meat first then cooked it until tender. Poured the sauce over the ribs and let it flavor the meat. They melt in your mouth. My mom will be 91 next month and said, "how did you know I wanted some of your ribs?"

illinois 05-09-2016 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 7544336)
As for personal taste, I like a bone-in pork shoulder or butt. The bone gives it real flavor. Strain off juices when done and chill. Skim off fat and pour the flavorful juice over pulled pork. Makes great sandwiches or Pork Carnitas.

I agree. I find a pork butt roast ends up more tender than loin and I like it better for pulled pork. I'll sure try the method of apple juice as a flavor additive though. I wonder if it helps tenderize? I usually add onion and a can of tomato sauce when I make pulled pork and let the one doing the eating decide if they like bbq sauce on theirs.

Jakers1 05-09-2016 06:32 AM

I made a pork butt in the slow cooker the other day and have enough to feed an army. I had a bone in but did not add the apple juice - I will next time. I also make ribs in the slow cooker. I cut them up into 2-3 bone pieces, put in crock pot with 1/2 cup water and 1 cup bbq sauce, cooking on low until almost done. I package them up into meal size bags and either freeze them or in fridge. For dinner I either put them in the oven covered with more straight sauce until done, about 1/2 hour, or on the grill with sauce. They are tender and not fatty. A friend told me she did not like bbq ribs until she ate these. A lot will also depend on the quality of the ribs, though, so get good ones.

Mariposa 05-09-2016 06:35 AM

These all sound yummy! I think ribs are coming up in the near future! Thanks for sharing~

toverly 05-09-2016 07:45 AM

We use a cup of vinegar then fill up to half way on a pork roast with water. The top half of the roast gets bbq sauce. Yum.

Jingle 05-09-2016 06:44 PM

Try beef broth or chicken broth, from a can or box. It really tenderizes beef, pork and chicken. It doesn't really matter which kind you use. I set it on high for about 6 hours.