Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork >

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Old 05-08-2016, 05:07 AM

Default Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

I'm sure this has been on here at some point, but I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm repeating something. Put a cut-up boneless pork loin, or boneless pork chops in your slow cooker and cover with root beer (I like the real sugar ones the best for this) or apple juice and cook 8 hours on low or 4 to 6 on high until the pork falls apart. Remove the pork from the liquid, break up with a fork, and mix in your favorite barbecue sauce for great pulled pork sandwiches.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:19 AM

I do this with apple juice .mmmmmmm can taste & smell it as I write ...lovely
Old 05-08-2016, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I agrees sounds and smells delicious.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:20 PM

As for personal taste, I like a bone-in pork shoulder or butt. The bone gives it real flavor. Strain off juices when done and chill. Skim off fat and pour the flavorful juice over pulled pork. Makes great sandwiches or Pork Carnitas.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:50 AM

I just did baby back ribs in my crockpot yesterday for my mom for mother's day. I seared the meat first then cooked it until tender. Poured the sauce over the ribs and let it flavor the meat. They melt in your mouth. My mom will be 91 next month and said, "how did you know I wanted some of your ribs?"
Old 05-09-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
As for personal taste, I like a bone-in pork shoulder or butt. The bone gives it real flavor. Strain off juices when done and chill. Skim off fat and pour the flavorful juice over pulled pork. Makes great sandwiches or Pork Carnitas.
I agree. I find a pork butt roast ends up more tender than loin and I like it better for pulled pork. I'll sure try the method of apple juice as a flavor additive though. I wonder if it helps tenderize? I usually add onion and a can of tomato sauce when I make pulled pork and let the one doing the eating decide if they like bbq sauce on theirs.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 AM

I made a pork butt in the slow cooker the other day and have enough to feed an army. I had a bone in but did not add the apple juice - I will next time. I also make ribs in the slow cooker. I cut them up into 2-3 bone pieces, put in crock pot with 1/2 cup water and 1 cup bbq sauce, cooking on low until almost done. I package them up into meal size bags and either freeze them or in fridge. For dinner I either put them in the oven covered with more straight sauce until done, about 1/2 hour, or on the grill with sauce. They are tender and not fatty. A friend told me she did not like bbq ribs until she ate these. A lot will also depend on the quality of the ribs, though, so get good ones.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

These all sound yummy! I think ribs are coming up in the near future! Thanks for sharing~
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 AM

We use a cup of vinegar then fill up to half way on a pork roast with water. The top half of the roast gets bbq sauce. Yum.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Try beef broth or chicken broth, from a can or box. It really tenderizes beef, pork and chicken. It doesn't really matter which kind you use. I set it on high for about 6 hours.