Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   So what is cooking for Easter at your house? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/so-what-cooking-easter-your-house-t263278.html)

Annaquilts 03-28-2015 06:09 PM

So what is cooking for Easter at your house?

Anyone eating a none traditional Easter meal? What is a traditional Easter meal if you eat that? My oven is still broke so I imagine it will be a real simple Easter meal and or something in a crock pot. My friend suggest eat the ham cold and make ham sandwiches. I am leaning towards chicken soup and fresh white bread. As dessert I am picturing lots of ice cream and maybe one of my married DDs will bring home baked goodies.

Tartan 03-28-2015 08:43 PM

A smoked ham is on our menu. It is pre-cooked and I put it into the oven in a roasting pan for about an hour. You could do the same in your crock pot I would think. We have sweet potatoes as veg. And probably a green salad. I am thinking honeymoon salad for dessert. I am also thinking of doing bird nests for a treat.
I saw it on facebook where you use 1pkg. chow mein noodles, 1/2 cup peanut butter mixed with 1lb. melted chocolate wafers that you drop onto a cookie sheet or into mini muffin cups and put in 3 Cadbury candy coated tiny eggs on the nests. You put them in the fridge to set.

Annaquilts 03-28-2015 09:26 PM

Sounds yummy! Yes, warm ham sounds a lot better to me. I already researched some ham crock pot recipes online. So far many of them seem a bit sugary but maybe I can substitute other flavors and liquids. Thanks for mentioning the bird's nest dessert. Sounds very cute and I do not need an oven. I will need to research the honeymoon salad dessert to see what that is.

Dodee 03-29-2015 04:29 AM

Since we're no longer around family, I imagine we'll eat out. I miss all those family / relative get-togethers.
Dodee

Tartan 03-29-2015 04:42 AM

We call it honeymoon salad some people call it 5 cup salad? It is the one where you use a container of sour cream, 2 cans of drained pineapple chunks, 2 cans of drained mandarin orange slices, 2 small packages of shredded coconut and half a bag of mini white marshmallows. I keep the pineapple juice to add a little into the mixture at the end. I like it a bit soupy to go into the fridge as the marshmallows soak up the juice. If this seems like a big batch, it IS! There is no use making a small batch as it goes so quickly at our house.

Debbie C 03-29-2015 04:49 AM

I have two daughters. One is 250 miles away and can't make it home due to work responsibilities; the other is 30 minutes away and extremely diet conscious. Only other family is in Florida so Easter Dinner will be non-traditional. A big salad, asparagus, yellow squash, yams and a roast. Dessert is most likely going to be angel food cake with assorted berries. Lost my dad four months ago, so the holidays are feeling quite empty.

quiltstringz 03-29-2015 05:05 AM

I have heated ham in my crockpot numerous times. I don't think I even added any water.

QuiltE 03-29-2015 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7145173)
Sounds yummy! Yes, warm ham sounds a lot better to me. I already researched some ham crock pot recipes online. So far many of them seem a bit sugary but maybe I can substitute other flavors and liquids. Thanks for mentioning the bird's nest dessert. Sounds very cute and I do not need an oven. I will need to research the honeymoon salad dessert to see what that is.

I do ham rolls in the crock all the time. Yes, there are lots of add-ins that can be done, but I find that some water is all that is needed. The ham has enough of its own flavour, that no more is needed IMHO! Plus, I have found than many of them change the colour of the ham ... orange juice, pineapple, maple syrup, brown sugar with mustard, are some I have tried, and then gone back to plain old water! :)

I'm not sure what your traditional meal would be, but often with ham is scalloped potatoes. You can do quite respectable ones in the crock pot too. Then of course, the microwave would zap your veggies in short order, or do on the stove top.

No over does not mean you have to miss your traditional Easter Dinner. ENJOY your meal ... and more so, your time with your family.

As for me ... My Easter dinner was this week when a friend was here! Yes, ham and scallopeds. Though I did do the potatoes in the oven. Have frozen some single portion dinners from the leftovers. So that just might be my Easter Dinner as I will be home alone ...... and happy for it, as hopefully I will be doing some quilting! :)

southernmema 03-29-2015 05:16 AM

Roasted turkey, baked sweet potatoes popped open & served with a pat of butter & sprinkled with brown sugar, fresh green beans cooked with streak-o-lean meat, deviled eggs, cornbread and yeast rolls, sweet tea. Desert will be strawberry shortcake made with Big Momma's sour cream pound cake, fresh strawberries and freshly made whipped cream. :)

Geri B 03-29-2015 06:08 AM

Baked ham, yams,polish sausage and sauerkraut, pierogi, fresh asparagus, daughter will bake a lamb cake, GD is bringing deviled eggs...and I will probably add a few more things to the table, but not sure what just yet.....will be 1 daughter, other is at her DH family gathering, 2 GD, 3 gg kids and me! Hope it warms up a bit...want to have an egg hunt for kiddies. To all a Blessed Easter .........