Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Soup beans and corn bread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/soup-beans-corn-bread-t248552.html)

Jackie Spencer 06-29-2014 05:26 AM

Just read this post. Better late than never I guess! My Mother always added a Tablespoon of mustard to her Great Northern beans when she first put them in the pot, along with the onion, ham and salt and pepper and water. I have always done this too.

Jo Belmont 06-29-2014 06:39 AM

Someone asked for the cornbread recipe I use. I'm almost embarrassed to show it here, it's so easy. I use a 9x9" pan sprayed well. Dump all this in a bowl: 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix, 2 eggs, 1 small can cream style corn, 1 small can chopped Ortega green chilies (or jalepenos if you like it spicier) and about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. You can also add a small can of chopped ripe olives if you like. Mix it well and put into the baking pan. Let it sit for 5-7 minutes (makes for a crispier top). You can also sprinkle a bit of the cheese on top of the resting batter. Bake at whatever temp/time the box calls for - I think it's 400 for 20-25 minutes (or maybe it's 350 - please use whatever the box suggests).

Let it sit out until it's cooled off enough to handle. Cut into squares and provide lots of butter. Yummy!

Billi 06-29-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 6778767)
Just read this post. Better late than never I guess! My Mother always added a Tablespoon of mustard to her Great Northern beans when she first put them in the pot, along with the onion, ham and salt and pepper and water. I have always done this too.

Prepared mustard or dry mustard?

Jo that does look very yummy and I will eat that any other time, but not with beans. It's not a taste thing it's a tradition thing. Some comfort foods/meals I just can't alter.

The worst for me is Thanksgiving I only want my family cornbread sage dressing on thanksgiving. Any other time including christmas I will eat and very much enjoy any other kind of dressing, just don't mess with my thanksgiving traditions.

AZ Jane 06-29-2014 07:20 AM

What time should we be there??

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont (Post 6761138)
I think some of the spices I use might lend that "earthy" flavor you spoke of. I know that my kiddos (all now adults) still think I make the best beans, lentils, etc., so I'll tell you the mainstay.

I start out with a broth created from cooking smoked ham hocks. I let them simmer a good long while until I can pick the good meat out of them and place the small bits back into the broth and discard the bones, rind, etc. As the ham hocks are cooking, I add a lot of chopped onion, some garlic, salt and pepper. Then I add a bay leaf or two, some chopped or diced carrots and the presoaked beans, lentils, etc. Lastly, I add some chopped celery. That's the base. Sometimes I enhance with small speatzle (sp) dumplings to the lentil soup, and even some bits of pasta, barley, etc., for other combos. Of course, there's always the occasional add of parsley and/or chopped spinach.

As to the cornbread, my family much prefers the type cooked with canned chopped green chilies, canned cream-style corn, and a healthy add of shredded cheddar cheese. Let it sit for a few minutes in the baking pan before placing it in the oven to get a nice, crisp top.

Hope this is close to what you're describing, and now my appetite is whetted so I think I'll make up a mess of this and call the kids.