Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Soup beans and corn bread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/soup-beans-corn-bread-t248552.html)

blondeslave 06-16-2014 11:19 AM

Soup beans and corn bread

This was one of my favorite meals when I was a kid. I can't find a recipe anything like my mom's and she didn't use a recipe. I can never get the seasoning right so the beans have that earthy savory taste. Any ideas out there?

Jo Belmont 06-16-2014 11:34 AM

I think some of the spices I use might lend that "earthy" flavor you spoke of. I know that my kiddos (all now adults) still think I make the best beans, lentils, etc., so I'll tell you the mainstay.

I start out with a broth created from cooking smoked ham hocks. I let them simmer a good long while until I can pick the good meat out of them and place the small bits back into the broth and discard the bones, rind, etc. As the ham hocks are cooking, I add a lot of chopped onion, some garlic, salt and pepper. Then I add a bay leaf or two, some chopped or diced carrots and the presoaked beans, lentils, etc. Lastly, I add some chopped celery. That's the base. Sometimes I enhance with small speatzle (sp) dumplings to the lentil soup, and even some bits of pasta, barley, etc., for other combos. Of course, there's always the occasional add of parsley and/or chopped spinach.

As to the cornbread, my family much prefers the type cooked with canned chopped green chilies, canned cream-style corn, and a healthy add of shredded cheddar cheese. Let it sit for a few minutes in the baking pan before placing it in the oven to get a nice, crisp top.

Hope this is close to what you're describing, and now my appetite is whetted so I think I'll make up a mess of this and call the kids.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-16-2014 11:45 AM

I buy the 15 bean mix. I just dump it in a pot with about a pound of ham chunks and a large onion and way more salt than a doctor would like. I never soak it all night or any of that other stuff you are supposed to do. Let it simmer all day. My mamaw never put anything else in hers either, but she only used northern beans. I really like the mix.

Billi 06-16-2014 01:39 PM

Pinto beans, Ham hock, chopped onion, bay leaf, salt just enough water to cover the beans by an inch or 2 simmer 4-6 hours or longer till soft stir occasionally and make sure the beans are covered with water.

Cornbread is 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour, a cpl tbs suar ( just enough to keep the bitterness out) , veg oil, egg and milk. Pour into a greased preheated cast iron pan cook in a hot oven.

Serve with pan fried potatoes, sliced onion and chow chow....

And don't forget to invite me over for dinner :-)

Painiacs 06-16-2014 04:03 PM

Man! Now i want some! I dont eat ham but use turkey ham, i know what she means though, tried all the above but still missing something!!

BeckyBryan 06-17-2014 03:45 AM

My mom used to own a restaurant. She was frequently asked for her recipe for ham and beans. She used pinto beans, ham bone, and her spices....nothing but salt and pepper. Try it!

lclang 06-17-2014 04:34 AM

I presoak 4 cups of sorted Great Northern beans overnight, cook them in chicken broth, add a finely chopped onion, and a large smoked turkey leg to keep the fat down and cook till the beans are soft. Check for salt and add pepper. Delicious. My husband likes cornbread with it, but I don't care for it so I eat homemade wheat bread.

Billi 06-17-2014 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs (Post 6761508)
Man! Now i want some! I dont eat ham but use turkey ham, i know what she means though, tried all the above but still missing something!!

Sometimes no matter what you do it will not taste like moms, there is just something in a memory that you can't duplicate.

Karen1956 06-17-2014 03:36 PM

We have soup beans at least once a month. Just beans, water, ham broth or a ham bone, salt. That's it!

quilter68 06-17-2014 04:29 PM

I live near Philadelphia and around here we add one shredded carrot, a chopped-up potato(for thickening) and GARLIC!
Sometimes a fresh tomato. No it is not veggie but it is earthy.
OOPS, I forgot - some kind of ham - smoked butt is very flavorful.