Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Stuffed mushrooms (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/stuffed-mushrooms-t308406.html)

LavenderBlue 12-02-2019 08:55 PM

Stuffed mushrooms

I plan to serve stuffed mushrooms with our prime rib dinner on Christmas Day. Most recipes include sausage. Do you have another filling favorite? Thanks!!

Iceblossom 12-02-2019 09:06 PM

Is there a reason you don't want to use sausage? My son and DDiL are vegan but don't mind meat analogs so soysage makes a nice appetizer for all.

You don't have to, you can just chop up the stems, chop up some onion, saute together and then season as you wish, I usually go towards Asian flavors but spinach and parmesan maybe with a dash of balsamic vinegar or worcestershire works nicely too. Pine nuts can add some texture. Stuff back into the caps and away you go.

LavenderBlue 12-02-2019 09:22 PM

No reason....just like to consider my options! Ha! I am very fond of the sausage stuffed version and have my eye on Ina Garten's recipe.

Sandygirl 12-03-2019 02:53 AM

Bacon! Love. Stuffed mushrooms.

Mkotch 12-03-2019 03:29 AM

Haven't made them in a while, but when I did, I chopped the stems finely and added a finely minced clove of garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, and whatever other seasonings I felt like using. Then I stuffed each cap and drizzed olive oil over them all. I suppose you could also spring the tops with parmesean cheese. Bake for 10-15 min. Yum.

juliasb 12-03-2019 06:17 AM

I love stuffed mushrooms with crab meat. They are great

Anniedeb 12-03-2019 08:03 AM

We love stuffed portabello mushrooms. My usual filling is a combination of the stems, long grain and wild rice, with sausage, onion, celery, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Every thing is chopped finely, mixed and mounded into the cap. This works with the large size, and the bigger "baby" ones. I also drizzle the mushrooms with melted butter before filling, then bake. In our family it seems like I never make enough!

riutzelj 12-03-2019 09:15 AM

Greek style stuffed Mushrooms curtesy of Flavor it Greek, Holy Trinity Greek Church, Portland Oregon
Manitaria Yemista
1 T. salt
1T lemon juice: use these first two ingredients to blanch mushrooms
30 large mushrooms
1T butter , melted
1T olive oil
2 T. finely chopped scallions
2T. white wine
salt and pepper to taste
1 T. chopped fresh dill or 2 T dried dill weed
2T. heavy cream
1 c. feta, or kasseri cheese (grated),
Parmesan cheese for topping.
In medium saucepan bring water with lemon juice and salt to boil. Blanch mushrooms. ( always wondered how they keep stuffed mushrooms from going black, now i know). Drain and remove stems, Brush mushrooms with meltted butter. Place them top side down in a baking dish and set aside while preparing filling.
In a small skillet saute scallions in the olive oil. add wine, salt and pepper to tast and allow to simmer gently until most of the liquid has ecaporated. Remove from heat, add dill, cream and cheese. Mix well.
Stuff mushrooms with mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan , bake in 350 degree oven 8-10 minutes

Chasing Hawk 12-03-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8335599)
I love stuffed mushrooms with crab meat. They are great

I was going to say this too.

tallchick 12-03-2019 10:49 AM

I also favor the crab meat for stuffed mushrooms! Very rich and decadent, a little goes a long way and oh so yummy.