Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Tell me about your favorite salad fixin's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tell-me-about-your-favorite-salad-fixins-t311583.html)

Jan in VA 06-30-2020 06:39 PM

Tell me about your favorite salad fixin's

I really love salads. I mean the ones served with many ingredients but always with lettuces -- mixed, Romaine, green leaf, Boston, wild field greens, and so forth. I am not a raw spinach fan, though I love it cooked with lemon juice and salt.

Recently I've been making tuna salad -- like that made for a sandwich, with mayo and chopped celery, and a squirt of lemon juice in mine, and serving that over greens with extra sliced celery, tomatoes, a tangy vinaigrette, and topped with -- of all things -- lots of crumbled tortilla chips. I can't believe how much I enjoy the salty, vinegary tang of this salad!

I also make a steak salad of my usual mixed greens, leftover roasted potatoes, thinly sliced red onions, sliced celery, and leftover sliced steak, dressed with ranch dressing to which I've added a healthy dollop of prepared horseradish.

One more summer favorite is mixed greens with sliced cold chicken, fresh sliced strawberries, glazed pecans, feta cheese, and a dressing made of balsamic reduction to which I add honey and strawberry jam. Balsamic reduction is the simplest thing to make and is absolutely divine on so many things. Just simmer very good Balsamic vinegar until it begins to thicken and coat the back of the stirring spoon. That's it!

Tell me about your favorite green summer salads, please!

Tartan 06-30-2020 06:44 PM

I like to buy the kale mixed salad with cranberries and sunflower seeds. I like a romaine salad with the usual vegetables in- celery, gr. onions, radishes, carrot slivers etc. My daughters favourite salad is a red, orange and yellow peppers sliced into bite size pieces, a red onion sliced thin, 2 cans of drained chicken peas and then mixed up with Italian dressing. Sometimes I will add kidney beans or kernel corn.

QuiltE 06-30-2020 07:30 PM

My favourite summer salad is .... a BLT with cheese .....
salad greens topped with chopped garden tomatoes,
topped with hot back bacon
topped with lots of shredded cheddar!!!

The chopped tomatoes protect the salad greens from the heat of the back bacon.
The crowning glory of course, is how the cheese melts a tad!!

Serve with your favourite dressing
For me, that is ..... Spiced Maple Vinaigrette .... or an Italian or Ranch dressing.

quiltingcandy 06-30-2020 08:06 PM

I love salads made by someone else. Not sure why they taste better but they do. Same with sandwiches. But I do not salads made with bitter weeds. My favorite is the salad made at the Olive Garden and Caesar Salads. I like pasta salads too. But not fond of fruit salads - I like to taste the fruit without them blending. My family loves fruit salads so I will either put the various ingredients in separate bowls so people can take the fruit they like and put the yogurt or honey on it if they want it.

Jan in VA 06-30-2020 11:49 PM

"Serve with your favourite dressing
For me, that is ..... Spiced Maple Vinaigrette .... or an Italian or Ranch dressing.
"

So what is this wondrous sounding spiced maple dressing of which you speak?!! Do tell!

Mkotch 07-01-2020 02:22 AM

I love taco salad - put chips on a plate, top with tossed salad, then add warm chili and some grated cheese.

Last night, we had curried chicken salad (a t. of curry powder to 1/2 c. mayo, plus sliced red grapes and chopped celery) on top of lettuce and surrounded by various vegetables.

I like to add blueberries, craisins, mandarin orange slices, chopped apple, and sliced pears in season to tossed salad, too.

jmoore 07-01-2020 03:29 AM

Grilled chicken, mandarin oranges and toasted almonds...oh and don’t forget a sprinkle of green onions.

QuiltE 07-01-2020 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 8398123)
"

So what is this wondrous sounding spiced maple dressing of which you speak?!! Do tell!

Made with none other than Canadian Maple Syrup!!!!!
OK, I'll let you use your American. Just make sure it is real maple syrup, not the fake stuff!
....... will post the recipe for you when I come back to the computer in a bit.

Are you drooling yet?????? ;)

Iceblossom 07-01-2020 06:11 AM

I eat a lot of salads, one of my favorite summer salads is basically about half chopped up vegetables, you want colorful like peppers and crunchy like celery, and raw peas are an awesome addition, or I'll slice up some raw pea pods. And because everything in life (including some desserts) are better with onions, a nice amount of the green onion rounds. Mix about half and half with large curd cottage cheese (you can rinse the cottage cheese to just get the curds, I just use straight out of the carton).

You can go towards something like a raspberry vinaigrette, but I usually dress with just a bit of a red spicy french dressing. We used to like the Bernstein's French but they don't make it any more. Can't get my favorite "Asian" dressing any more either.

Rob The HOAQ 07-01-2020 08:18 AM

I like the salad that tastes like a sirloin steak.https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png

Seriously, I never ate salad until after I had my quadruple bypass in 2013. I mainly just put baby arugula in it along with a balsamic vinaigrette. My one weakness is bacon ranch, but my doctor put the kybosh on that pretty quickly. I refused to give up my garlic croutons, however.