Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   tons of little prunes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tons-little-prunes-t152157.html)

huntannette 09-11-2011 04:30 PM

these are the size of cherry tomatoes and red when ripe...this year is a bumper crop...there are so many, it is a shame not to do something with them

huntannette 09-11-2011 04:30 PM

in french, both are prune

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by vivoaks

Originally Posted by huntannette
oh maybe ...in french it is prune but english must be plums....

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Prunes?
Me-thinks you mean plums ... I've made plum jam/jelly, canned them, and frozen.

There is such a thing as a prune-plums. We had a tree at one point, and they may have been plums, but when dried, they were prunes. Same thing - just one was dried and one was fresh.

Yes, and as mentioned in the previous post ... prunes are dried up plums

Limey 09-12-2011 05:44 AM

You can pickle them or make a chutney, as well as the usual jams, jellies, canning etc.

patimint 09-12-2011 04:42 PM

Last year when my neighbor gave me tons of them, I made Plum Butter. Just like making apple butter, if you know how to do that. add just a tad more sugar. Yum, it was so good

ncredbird 09-12-2011 04:48 PM

I used to can them. I would fill a clean jar with clean plums and pour boiling water over them until they were within half an inch from the top of the jar. Seal and process. It has been so long I don't remember how long. The great thing is other than washing them well you don't have to do anything to them. I left the seeds in. As they sit they make their own very beautiful dark purple sweet syrup which we would pour over pancakes. I would let them sit for a couple of months prior to opening them. We do about the same thing to make concord grape juice. Ann in TN

trolleystation 09-12-2011 05:07 PM

If they are prune plums...we canned them(leaving the stones in). So easy. And they make wondeful jam.

meanmom 09-12-2011 06:59 PM

Several years ago my sisters plum tree went crazy and was covered with plums. I made this bread and it was delicious. I also pureed them and froze them to use in recipes instead of oil. Used in zucchini bread , pumpkin bread and chocolate cake instead of oil. Very good ( my family actually likes it better than with oil)

Plum Bread

Prep Time: 20 minsTotal Time: 1 hrs 15 minsYield: 2 loaves

Ingredients
2 cups diced Italian plums ( Nectarines or Peaches can also be used)
3 cups flour
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
Directions
Cream butter sugar and vanilla together until fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beat after each addition.
Sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
Add about 1/3 of the yogurt to the mixture then 1/3 of the flour mixture, alternating until all is added.
fill two greased and floured bread pans 1/2 full with batter, then add 1/4 of the fruit to each pan, then the remaining batter and top with the remaining fruit.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 50-55 minutes.
cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and turn onto a platter.
Makes two loaves but freezes well.
Page 2 of 2

huntannette 09-13-2011 09:22 AM

when you can them like that, do you eat the plums too, or just the syrup??

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I used to can them. I would fill a clean jar with clean plums and pour boiling water over them until they were within half an inch from the top of the jar. Seal and process. It has been so long I don't remember how long. The great thing is other than washing them well you don't have to do anything to them. I left the seeds in. As they sit they make their own very beautiful dark purple sweet syrup which we would pour over pancakes. I would let them sit for a couple of months prior to opening them. We do about the same thing to make concord grape juice. Ann in TN

huntannette 09-13-2011 09:23 AM

hmmm sounds good...will try that as soon as i get my new oven

Originally Posted by meanmom
Several years ago my sisters plum tree went crazy and was covered with plums. I made this bread and it was delicious. I also pureed them and froze them to use in recipes instead of oil. Used in zucchini bread , pumpkin bread and chocolate cake instead of oil. Very good ( my family actually likes it better than with oil)

Plum Bread

Prep Time: 20 minsTotal Time: 1 hrs 15 minsYield: 2 loaves

Ingredients
2 cups diced Italian plums ( Nectarines or Peaches can also be used)
3 cups flour
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
Directions
Cream butter sugar and vanilla together until fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beat after each addition.
Sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
Add about 1/3 of the yogurt to the mixture then 1/3 of the flour mixture, alternating until all is added.
fill two greased and floured bread pans 1/2 full with batter, then add 1/4 of the fruit to each pan, then the remaining batter and top with the remaining fruit.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 50-55 minutes.
cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and turn onto a platter.
Makes two loaves but freezes well.
Page 2 of 2

GypsyRse1 09-13-2011 10:20 PM

Cut those babies in 1/2, remove the seed and pop them in the dehydrator... so many uses all winter long... yum