Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Water Kefir...Please Help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/water-kefir-please-help-t313791.html)

tropit 01-08-2021 12:43 PM

Water Kefir...Please Help.

I've tried for the second time in making water kefir. The first time I tried making WF, it never got fizzy. I eventually threw out the grains. Last week, I started again, with fresh WF grains and it's still not getting fizzy. I think that I've followed the directions. Does anyone else have experience making water kefir? I need some tips. Thanks.

tropit 01-09-2021 10:09 AM

Oh...I wish there was someone here that has made water kefir before and could help me. Second day and still no fizz.

For those of you that don't know what water kefir is...It's a bubbly, fizzy drink that can be consumed plain, or flavored with various fruit juices, ginger, or herbs. It taste like a hand crafted soda pop, only perhaps not quite as sweet. You can buy a bottle of it at most, major grocery stores s/a Safeway.

It's made similar to Kombucha, only made with water instead of green, or black tea, so there's no caffeine, or fermented tea taste. It starts with a yeast/bacteria culture that comes as little dehydrated granules. The granules are soaked in sugar water and become swollen and activated, then they are strained out and the, "cultured water," goes through a second fermentation with more sugar water and maybe some fruit juice. It's bottled and left for a 1-4 days to build up some fizz. The granules are then put back into sugar water and the process starts again.

Alas...mine is not getting fizzy. I have it at the correct temperature and I think I've followed the directions. I don't know where I went wrong. I'll give it a couple more days.

*Correction of first post: WF = WK = Water Kefir

Water Kefir is different than Milk Kefir. It's made with water, not milk.

Quiltwoman44 01-09-2021 10:45 AM

well you got me hon. i have never heard of that. Guess I've not spent much time in the kitchen. sorry.

JanieW 01-10-2021 07:25 AM

Are you using distilled water? I don’t make it; but my neighbour does so I asked him. That was his suggestion.

I make my own milk kefir. I was going to get some water grains from my neighbour but needing distilled water was a deterrent.

leaha 01-10-2021 10:31 AM

well a new one on me, never heard of either water or milk kefir. good luck in getting it right,

tropit 01-11-2021 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 8451443)
Are you using distilled water? I don’t make it; but my neighbour does so I asked him. That was his suggestion.

I make my own milk kefir. I was going to get some water grains from my neighbour but needing distilled water was a deterrent.

No...I'm using fresh, spring water.

Barb in Louisiana 01-11-2021 01:26 PM

There is some helpful info here My water kefir tastes great, but it's not very fizzy, what can I do to make it more carbonated? - Happy Gut (happygutpro.com)

More info here. What to Do When Water Kefir Loses it's Fizz - Happy Gut (happygutpro.com)

And anther website Water Kefir Grains Troubleshooting FAQ (culturesforhealth.com)

I have made milk kefir and had to let it sit on my counter a lot longer because I use a/c in my house and it never really got warm enough. I may have to order me some of the water grains to try them. Any of the Kefirs are supposed to be very healthy for you.

tropit 01-11-2021 06:11 PM

Thanks Barb! I do think that it might be these lower, winter temps that is causing my problems. I'll check out your links and hold on a little longer.

tropit 01-13-2021 07:04 AM

I've got gas!!! :D In my water kefir that is. It's finally starting to get fizzy. I think that the lower temps in my house this winter have caused the delay in it getting some bubbles. I'm going to leave it out another day, or two to get fizzier and hope that I don't blow up the bottles.

SusieQOH 01-13-2021 05:37 PM

tropit- I mentioned this to my husband, who is a food scientist and he said you may not have it in a warm enough place.