Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What to do with egg yokes??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-do-egg-yokes-t226208.html)

Jingle 07-21-2013 01:59 PM

Easy for me. I would cook them and eat them. I love eggs anyway but raw of half raw. Sell some of the eggs and you won't get too many.

ctipton 07-21-2013 05:39 PM

I had chickens and geese.I would cook and feed the eggs (yolks) back to them

Quiltbeagle 07-21-2013 05:58 PM

You can cook the yolks and feed them back to your chickens as it's a good source of protein for them, or you can make daffodil cake which is just like angel food but you separate the eggs and use both yolks and whites for a two tone cake. I can't find the simple recipe online, only ones with added things like OJ or almonds... I originally found the recipe in the first issue of the From Scratch magazine. I'll look for it in the morning and post it if you're interested.

janjj 07-21-2013 10:03 PM

My mother made many angel food cakes. she used the yolks for 'sponge cake'. google spone cake and get a recipe. I can't find hers

tesspug 07-21-2013 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Champagnolle (Post 6188860)
Cook them and add to your dog's food if you have a dog. I had chickens a long time ago. I just loved having them, but I had way too many eggs. I've always had a bunch of dogs, too. I'd scramble a huge skillet of eggs for them every night and add to their dry kibble. They had the shiniest coats in town.

We had chickens years ago and our dog loved the raw eggs. I would give him a whole one and he would hold it for a few seconds then gently crack it and lick the egg out. I had to watch him closely so he couldn't sneak into the coop before me and steal one.

Kris P 07-22-2013 04:31 AM

Sorry to say, but I throw away the yolks. A single egg yolk has 80% of the cholesterol you should have in a day. Our family went to eating just egg whites when we have eggs for breakfast. On Weight Watchers a whole egg is 3 points, but 3 egg whites is 1 point. I never liked the yolks, anyway.

Pat75 07-22-2013 07:16 AM

Use your egg yolks in yeast breads reduce the milk a bit and add about a quarter cup of yolks and make any kind of bread you like .Bread allows for a lot of variation.QUOTE]

QuiltE 07-22-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P (Post 6189794)
Sorry to say, but I throw away the yolks. A single egg yolk has 80% of the cholesterol you should have in a day. Our family went to eating just egg whites when we have eggs for breakfast. On Weight Watchers a whole egg is 3 points, but 3 egg whites is 1 point. I never liked the yolks, anyway.

Fine to look at it that way though .... consider the nutrition you are missing by not eating the yolk.
Eating is not just about eating WW PP! .........

tessagin 07-22-2013 02:19 PM

I put butter in the skillet and make a quick omelet. I've also heated up bacon or sausage and threw some flour or corn starch to make a roux then combine milk/cream with the eggs (whipped lightly), make a sauce and just throw it over toast or biscuits. Just a different kind of pork gravy over biscuits.

tessagin 07-22-2013 02:20 PM

At my house we call it 'POOR MAN'S S & BG BREAKFAST"