Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with egg yokes???

What to do with egg yokes???

I have chicken so have eggs, one of the way I use up the over run of eggs is to make angle food cake. but I just hate to throw out the yokes, I some times make nooldes with a few but that still dose not use up many of them. so I looking for way to use them up. any ideas???
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Power Poster
    ​I always pair Angel food cake with Pound cake. One uses the whites and the other uses the yolks. You can also use yolks in custards or coconut cream pie.....yum!

* Cook them and add them to salads for extra protein
    * Mix with hard boiled eggs for egg salad
    * add with eggs for omelettes, frittatas, etc.
    * Lemon Curd
    * Sponge Cake
    * puddings and custards
    * mayonnaise

Ask Mr. Google for egg yolk recipes ... and you'll get lots of ideas!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Years ago, when we made scratch cakes, we made yellow chiffon cakes with the yolks. I'm sorry, I don't have the recipe. They were very light and we beat the egg yolks very much.

yel
    Blog Entries
    cream puffs and quiche.....noodles are good ....dumplings are better

Blog Entries
    Custard, ice cream, noodles (freeze the extras), lemon or orange curd, hollandaise sauce, Bernaise Sauce. Use to bind hamburgers, meat loaf or meat balls, feed them to your pets, I do not like eggs at all, but make all the above fairly regularly.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

custard or mayonnaise. You can make mayo in the blender, wicked easy. Also I used to make custard in cups, put in fridge, and have it with fresh fruit for a great hot-weather breakfast.

ETA - if you have lots of extra eggs, why not trade with your neighbors for some fresh garden produce, or whatever?

Blog Entries
    I have, on occasion, added them to fried eggs for our younger grandkids and told them it was their lucky day because they got an egg with a double yolk! Doesn't use up too many, but really impresses the young ones!
    Sue

You can make noodles, dry them then bag them to keep for months

Cook them and add to your dog's food if you have a dog. I had chickens a long time ago. I just loved having them, but I had way too many eggs. I've always had a bunch of dogs, too. I'd scramble a huge skillet of eggs for them every night and add to their dry kibble. They had the shiniest coats in town.
    If we could foresee the future, we might not have the nerve to venture into it. -- Wallace Stegner

Easy for me. I would cook them and eat them. I love eggs anyway but raw of half raw. Sell some of the eggs and you won't get too many.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I had chickens and geese.I would cook and feed the eggs (yolks) back to them

You can cook the yolks and feed them back to your chickens as it's a good source of protein for them, or you can make daffodil cake which is just like angel food but you separate the eggs and use both yolks and whites for a two tone cake. I can't find the simple recipe online, only ones with added things like OJ or almonds... I originally found the recipe in the first issue of the From Scratch magazine. I'll look for it in the morning and post it if you're interested.

My mother made many angel food cakes. she used the yolks for 'sponge cake'. google spone cake and get a recipe. I can't find hers

Quote Originally Posted by Champagnolle View Post
    Cook them and add to your dog's food if you have a dog. I had chickens a long time ago. I just loved having them, but I had way too many eggs. I've always had a bunch of dogs, too. I'd scramble a huge skillet of eggs for them every night and add to their dry kibble. They had the shiniest coats in town.
    We had chickens years ago and our dog loved the raw eggs. I would give him a whole one and he would hold it for a few seconds then gently crack it and lick the egg out. I had to watch him closely so he couldn't sneak into the coop before me and steal one.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Sorry to say, but I throw away the yolks. A single egg yolk has 80% of the cholesterol you should have in a day. Our family went to eating just egg whites when we have eggs for breakfast. On Weight Watchers a whole egg is 3 points, but 3 egg whites is 1 point. I never liked the yolks, anyway.

Use your egg yolks in yeast breads reduce the milk a bit and add about a quarter cup of yolks and make any kind of bread you like .Bread allows for a lot of variation.QUOTE]
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
    Sorry to say, but I throw away the yolks. A single egg yolk has 80% of the cholesterol you should have in a day. Our family went to eating just egg whites when we have eggs for breakfast. On Weight Watchers a whole egg is 3 points, but 3 egg whites is 1 point. I never liked the yolks, anyway.
    Fine to look at it that way though .... consider the nutrition you are missing by not eating the yolk.
    Eating is not just about eating WW PP! .........
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I put butter in the skillet and make a quick omelet. I've also heated up bacon or sausage and threw some flour or corn starch to make a roux then combine milk/cream with the eggs (whipped lightly), make a sauce and just throw it over toast or biscuits. Just a different kind of pork gravy over biscuits.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    At my house we call it 'POOR MAN'S S & BG BREAKFAST"

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I have chicken so have eggs, one of the way I use up the over run of eggs is to make angle food cake. but I just hate to throw out the yokes, I some times make nooldes with a few but that still dose not use up many of them. so I looking for way to use them up. any ideas???
    There are sponge cake recipes that use only yokes.

Blog Entries
    I go with 2 many projects for the noodles. They are sooooooo handy to have in the freezer, and don't take long to make. I have an original Amish Noodle recipe is anyone wants it. They are delicious!!Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

My Mom always made spritz when she had extra egg yolks

Spritz Cookies

1/2 lb butter
    2/3 c sugar
    3 egg yolks
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    2-1/2 c flour or more
    dash salt

Cream butter, add sugar, then egg yolks. Add almond extract then flour. Extrude from cookie press onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in hot oven (400 F) Watch carefully, takes 5-8 min. Makes 10 dozen wreaths (the smallest cookie you can make with a cookie press)

Blog Entries
    Blender Hollandaise Sauce over top of poached eggs on English muffins!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by carslo View Post
    Blender Hollandaise Sauce over top of poached eggs on English muffins!
    Now you're talking!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast