Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What's your favorite vegetable? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/whats-your-favorite-vegetable-t26416.html)

Jim's Gem 10-04-2009 07:49 PM

Broccoli, I just either steam it or cook it in the microwave. Not too overcooked, I like them firm and served "au natural"

Lisanne 10-06-2009 08:45 AM

Yeah, Loretta, I use tomatoes almost daily in one thing or another.

My favorite vegetable is actually onions. I adore them, though I'd never eat them just by themselves. But they go into almost everything I make.

Moonpi, I take your point about chocolate and coffee. It would hold for vanilla, too!

Linsoblu 10-06-2009 10:34 AM

Mushrooms Oh wait they are not a veggie. Give me most any veggie and I'm happy raw or cooked. except onions, red,green yellow peppers, peas,or eggplant.

CAK44 10-06-2009 04:50 PM

Hi there
This is how I fix my fresh beets. Trim the tops off so there is about 2 inches of the stems. Put them in a container big enogh to cover them with water, bring them to a boil, 15 to 20 minutes. The water will turn red.
Pour out the water and let the beets cool enough to handle. You can run cold water over them if you like. Remove the skins with your hands and a knife. Then cut them however you want to use them. They are good with just salt, pepper and butter on them. Hopes this helps. CAK44

Feathers 10-12-2009 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CAK44
Hi there
This is how I fix my fresh beets. Trim the tops off so there is about 2 inches of the stems. Put them in a container big enogh to cover them with water, bring them to a boil, 15 to 20 minutes. The water will turn red.
Pour out the water and let the beets cool enough to handle. You can run cold water over them if you like. Remove the skins with your hands and a knife. Then cut them however you want to use them. They are good with just salt, pepper and butter on them. Hopes this helps. CAK44

This is how I do fresh beets, too. Love, love, love them. I also can beets when I have extras and I pickle them then can them.

Knot Sew 10-13-2009 10:22 AM

love the beets to...add eggs hard boiled to the beet jucie you have left after you eat the pickeled ones
:D

OHSue 10-17-2009 07:44 PM

My favorite veg is asparagus. I make it roasted.
Just break the stems, they will break at the proper point on their own leaving the tough woody part behind. Put them in a glass pan, drizzle with a bit of oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. I roast them at 350 for about 15 to 20 min, depends on how soft you like them.

Betty Ruth 10-18-2009 06:17 PM

Onions & all colors of bell peppers are some of my old standbys. Someone told me that I didn't know how to cook without onions. It's true. I even like the peas and eggplant. Hubby will eat peas occasionally but relegates the eggplant to area that he won't touch with a 10 foot pole along with every kind of squash. He doesn't know that my mother used to feed him "pumpkin" pies made out of Cushaw squash.

fluffbug95 10-19-2009 06:29 PM

I love Green Beans!
I liked them cooked in butter with some salt! :)

butterflywing 10-20-2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CAK44
Hi there

don't throw that water out. when the beets are done, reboil the water with fabric in it and you get a wonderful pink/dk pink color. cook for about 10 minutes, adding water to cover, if necessary. let it all sit until it's cool. remove the fabric and rinse under cool water until the water runs clear. the depth of the shade is determined by the amount of beets you used and how juicy they were. i always slipped the skins off right in the pan i was using, so that all the juices ran back into the water. after the fabric is rinsed, squeeze it out and hang to dry. NOTE: beet juice is permenent.

you can do this with canned beet juice. just a rainy-day fun thing to do.