Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   ?? Will you PLease share your Rhubarb Recipes ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/will-you-please-share-your-rhubarb-recipes-t221113.html)

resource fabricologist 05-10-2013 06:47 PM

[h=2]Rhubarb Crunch Pie[/h]
Delicious sour cream rhubarb pie with streusel topping

Servings: 8
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes

Ingredients:
1 Pillsbury pie crust
4 cups fresh rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
1 cup sour cream

Topping
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. cinanmon
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 9 inch glass pie pan with crust. Prick with fork and lightly press a piece of tinfoil over pie crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Mix sugar, cinnamon and flour and sour cream well with a whisk. Add rhubarb and stir well. Pour into cooled crust.

Mix topping ingredients well with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle on pie. Protect crust edges with pie guard or tinfoil around edges. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 30-40 min till done.

Dakota Rose 05-11-2013 07:55 AM

Can't grow rhubarb in Atlanta, Ga either. So many wonderful memories of my Mom's garden full of it and all the things she made. My Dad liked rhubarb juice and Mom would can it to use all year. A resteraunt in my home town served the best rhubarb pie. I am sure it must have been the sour cream custard one but it had walnuts in it. Can buy it here but it is sometimes $6.00/lb for 4-5 little stalks.

Jo Anne B. 05-11-2013 09:35 PM

Orange Rhubarb Bread(quick) from Taste of Home.com So Yummy!!
Can use frozen rhubarb too.

GrandmK 05-12-2013 03:21 AM

Orange Rhubarb Bread

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. (Post 6058915)
Orange Rhubarb Bread(quick) from Taste of Home.com So Yummy!!
Can use frozen rhubarb too.

Did you post the recipe and did I miss it??

Quiltlove 05-12-2013 04:11 AM

My favorite thing to do with Rhubarb is make juice. I cook cut up rhubarb in a sauce pan with water just to cover until tender and strain the juice from the strings. It is a beautiful pink. Then I pour it into ice cubes trays and freeze it into cubes. For a extremely refreshing summer drink pour yourself a glass of gingerale and add two or three of these ice cubes. Yum. You can sweeten the warm juice with any preferred sweetener if you wish. This is the best.

cheya 05-12-2013 07:42 PM

This Rhubarb Tart looks so delicious.

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/20...-rhubarb-tart/

I just planted rhubarb this summer. Can't wait til it produces enough to make some of these yummy recipes that have been shared.

Momellis 05-13-2013 05:55 PM

go to www.rhubarbinfo.com more recipes than you can ever use! Enjoy!

Dedemac 05-13-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by y.morman (Post 6055728)
We use to make a rhubarb sauce by adding a bit of water to cut up rhubarb and sugar. Cook it down and serve over angel food cake. Depending on how tart you like our sauce depends on how much sugar you add. We just covered the bottom of the pan with water.

I make about the same thing just a little water and lots of rhubarb. I keep checking the flavor to see how much sugar. I like my sauce tart and put it on cereal, ice cream or what ever. I have 30 feet of the stuff. I will see if I can find my recipe for pickles. They are a sweet sour bread and butter style they have a little crunch, but the are pink!

QuiltE 05-13-2013 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac (Post 6062508)
.......... I will see if I can find my recipe for pickles. They are a sweet sour bread and butter style they have a little crunch, but the are pink!

You have me intrigued ... Do hope you will please share this recipe!

When making my stewed rhubarb, I use little water, and once softened down, then add some red jello powder, and sugar to taste. The jello helps keep it from being too runny, plus of course, makes it a pretty pink.

GrandmK 05-13-2013 07:36 PM

Rhubarb Pickles???

Originally Posted by Dedemac (Post 6062508)
I make about the same thing just a little water and lots of rhubarb. I keep checking the flavor to see how much sugar. I like my sauce tart and put it on cereal, ice cream or what ever. I have 30 feet of the stuff. I will see if I can find my recipe for pickles. They are a sweet sour bread and butter style they have a little crunch, but the are pink!

I do hope you can find and will share this recipe. I Usually have a lot of Rhubarb but it is just barely peaking through so is really late like the rest of our spring!!!