Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   ?? Will you PLease share your Rhubarb Recipes ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/will-you-please-share-your-rhubarb-recipes-t221113.html)

Ellageo 05-09-2013 11:40 AM

?? Will you PLease share your Rhubarb Recipes ??

LOVE Rhubarb, but I'm looking for new recipes. Tried & true family goodies! My husband wants nothing much more than 'his mothers' Rhubarb custard. I LOVE it! , but I need something else sometimes..will you share? I'll start:

Lizzie's Rhubarb Custard
1 1/2 cps sugar
3 Tbls flour
3 egg yolks }Blend all ingrediants well
1 Tbls butter
1 cp milk
3 cps Rhubarb * cut rhubarb thin
Put cut rhubarb in unbaked 9" pie shell. Pour custard mix over rhubarb & bake 375* for 50 minutes. Top with meringue & brown as desired.
Meringue
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla } Beat together til soft peaks form
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

6 Tbls sugar } Gradually add sugar,
continue to beat til stiff glossy peaks form
& all sugar is dissolved

Sarah in Brooklyn 05-09-2013 12:01 PM

I make applesauce with rhubarb in the pressure cooker. No sugar, just a touch of water. Tart and delicious!

postal packin' mama 05-09-2013 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn (Post 6054733)
I make applesauce with rhubarb in the pressure cooker. No sugar, just a touch of water. Tart and delicious!

Approximately what proportions of rhubarb to apples? 50/50 or ??

daisylil 05-10-2013 02:55 AM

Why not try Rhubarb Brulee? Cook rhubarb as normal , put in bottom of flameproof dish , mix equal amounts of rhubarb yoghurt and double (thick cream) pour over the top , then sprinkle brown sugar over it and place under a very hot grill, top goes all crunchy yum :)

daisylil 05-10-2013 02:57 AM

Forgot to say you can use any flavour yoghurt , I experimented a lot :)

quilter1 05-10-2013 04:04 AM

These are my 2 favourites, the pie is outstanding and the dessert is wonderful. My rhubarb is ready to be picked- maybe a pie for Mother's Day!

Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 ½ cups white sugar
¼ cup all purpose flour
¾ tsp nutmeg
3 eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups fresh rhubarb (not frozen)
2 tbsp butter

Mix the eggs, sugar, nutmeg and flour together. Add rhubarb. Pour into a large pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Roll out a top crust and make a few holes in it (or make a lattice top), put it on the top and crimp the sides. Brush top crust with a little milk and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake at 400* for 50-60 minutes.
This is the best pie!!

Rhubarb Dessert

1 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
¾ cup butter
Mix together and spread in a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350* for 15 minutes.

4 egg yolks
1 ¼ cup sugar
¾ cup milk
1tsp vanilla
3 tbsp flour
5 cups rhubarb
Mix the first 5 ingredients together, add rhubarb. Pour over hot bottom. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

4 egg whites
6 tbsp sugar
Make a meringue and spread over the hot filling. Bake another 10 minutes until browned.
Oh my, I love this. The meringue separates a bit when it cools but that doesn’t matter. It may not be the prettiest dessert, but it sure is one of the best tasting.

sniktasemaj 05-10-2013 04:26 AM

You are making me so hungry for rhubarb. I live here in Florida and can't grow it.

y.morman 05-10-2013 04:31 AM

We use to make a rhubarb sauce by adding a bit of water to cut up rhubarb and sugar. Cook it down and serve over angel food cake. Depending on how tart you like our sauce depends on how much sugar you add. We just covered the bottom of the pan with water.

littlebitoheaven 05-10-2013 04:42 AM

My MIL would put bite-size rhubarb in a 9 x 9" baking dish and then put a Jiffy white cake mix over it and bake as per directions. Easy and very good.

IraJane 05-10-2013 04:57 AM

Rhubard recipes

Rhubarb pie:
1½ c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
4 c. rhubarb(cut into small pieces)
½ tsp.almond flavoring
2 Tbutter to dot the top of the filling before putting on the top crust
<o:p </o
Bake at425 for 10 mins, reduce to 350, and bake. I think it’s 35 to 45 mins. Ifthe filling is frozen it will take longer. I consider the pie done when thereare bubbles coming from the holes I poked in the top crust.
<o:p </o
Rhubarb Jello Dessert (free on Weight Watchers)
Cook a couple cups of rhubarb with enough water to keep it from sticking, until it makes a sauce. Add sugar free raspberry jello to sweeten it and an additional cup of water-up to 2 c. if the sauce wasn’t real watery. Chill in the frig until it just starts to set. Beat or stir in up to a container of Cool Whip Free. It can be put in the frig to set upagain, or spread in a pan and frozen. Makes a wonderful frozen dessert.