Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Your Best Chicken Salad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/your-best-chicken-salad-t302568.html)

Barb in Louisiana 01-28-2019 07:49 AM

Who knew there were this many ways to make chicken salad? Marcia, I hope you are getting some good ideas, because I sure am.

SusieQOH 01-28-2019 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 8200665)
We recently sold our Specialty Food/Market after 10 years. We made a popular chicken salad which our customers loved.

Baked chicken breasts (seasoned with s&p and olive oil)
toasted walnuts
Dried cranberries
celery
shallots
fresh tarragon
and then we made a tarragon aioli (mayo, vinegar, more fresh tarragon s&p)
We served it on a croissant. I’ve also made these for my kids on the day of their wedding while everyone was getting dressed up.

If anyone wants the measurements PM and I’ll pull get it out of my cookbook.

That sounds fantastic!!!!!!! I'm messaging you on this - thanks!

Jingle 01-28-2019 07:30 PM

I drain a couple of big cans of chicken. Mix in sweet pickle relish and Kraft Mayonnaise with olive oil, stir and make a sandwich. Plenty of salt in the chicken.

Garden Gnome 01-29-2019 05:24 PM

I think I have only made chicken salad once in all my life. But my DH used to like it from a particular deli that used pineapple in it. I think I'm going to have to give it a try or two again. Some great sounding recipes here!

By the way, if you are really wanting Miracle Whip and only have plain mayo, you can dress it up with a little sugar, lemon juice and paprika.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite snacks was Miracle Whip on white bread. Or on saltines. Yum..?

Jan in VA 02-06-2019 02:03 PM

In Petoskey, Michigan I learned to love chicken salad with dried cherries in it rather than grapes or cranberries. Still make it this way today. No onion in mine (fresh onion with mayonnaise often makes me sick, weird), but occasionally pecans or cashews. A squeeze of lemon juice with the mayo, celery, etc.

ILoveToQuilt 02-07-2019 05:27 PM

All sound great. I am a huge fan of chicken salad. I make mine a bit differently from the others here.

Chicken (shredded, cubed, cut up, canned...whatever I have on hand)
Mayo (only mayo)
Celery (one good sized rib chopped)
Dried fruit (raisins - especially the golden ones, craisins, cherries, apricots...whatever I have on hand) cut up [or]
Fresh fruit (grapes, apples, pineapple...again whatever I have in the fridge bin) cut up
Salt (to taste)
Curry powder (to taste) [can be hot and spicy so I don't add additional pepper, but you can]

Mix all ingredients together until well coated with mayo. Chill for an hour or more, then enjoy! (Chilling helps the curry flavor to develop and mellow). Salad turns a pretty yellow-orange from the curry.

Hope you enjoy my version.

SusieQOH 02-08-2019 07:06 AM

Anita, that sounds wonderful!

bearisgray 02-08-2019 09:10 AM

We make a pasta chicken salad -

Ring macaroni - cooked to desired tenderness
Cooked chicken breasts - cut up into pieces as small as you want
Diced celery - cut up small
Minced onion - also cut up fine
Craisins
Hellman's "regular/original" mayonnaise
Salt
Pepper

Possible additional seasonings - Lawry' s seasoned salt
My cousin used allspice in her salad - I liked it.

I like salted, roasted cashews with it, too.

I like red grapes served with it.

If I fry the chicken in butter, I add the drippings to the salad.

The last time I made the salad, i " enhanced" the chicken flavor by dissolving some chicken flavored "Better then Bouillon" in water and pouring it over the cut-up cooked chicken before adding it to the pasta.

Irishrose2 02-08-2019 11:13 AM

Chicken breast, poached with onion, celery, garlic powder, salt, pepper
Pineapple tidbits
Green grapes
Walnuts
Celery
Mayo with some Beau Monde seasoning. I have used salad dressing, but prefer mayo or a mix of the two.
Yummy in a baked pie shell, mini tarts, croissant, soft roll or on a lettuce leaf.
A 1977 Pillsbury Bake Off recipe, except for the Beau Monde seasoning. Sometimes I add dried cherries, but that's an addition, too.

cathyvv 02-08-2019 01:42 PM

I rarely make chicken salad, but when I do it must be fast and easy. So my recipe is:

Chopped leftover chicken, white and dark - usually less than 2 real servings leftover.
2 tablespoons Miracle Whip light
1 teaspoon of sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon of mustard - out of the mustard jar, not dried mustard
1 teaspoon of ketchup

Sometimes I toss in a few raisins or cranberry raisins.

If I have some celery, I chop it up finely and add to the mix.

I never use onions as raw onion taste stays with me for about 24 hours after I eat them.

If I don't have miracle whip, I substitute honey mustard creamy salad dressing, and leave out the mustard. I do not like mayo, so don't even have it in the house.

My husband likes it. But he doesn't like to cook so he almost has to say he likes it! I use the same combination for making salmon salad. It works for tuna, too, but I don't care for tuna.