Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Your Best Chicken Salad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/your-best-chicken-salad-t302568.html)

Boston1954 01-26-2019 08:10 AM

Your Best Chicken Salad

Mine never turns out the way I think it will. What is your magic solution?

patricej 01-26-2019 10:12 AM

chicken salad is the one time i prefer to use chicken breasts.
poached in a seasoned broth.

cut into small chunks, or shred.
celery - your preferred size dice
purple grapes, whole or halved depending on size
pecans or walnuts, medium to large chunks
apple (delicious, fuji, honey crisp); small to medium dice
regular mayo to taste. i use just enough to coat everything.
diced onions ... not tiny, but smaller than medium dice (optional)
ground pepper to taste.
taste-test first, and salt only if needed.

Tartan 01-26-2019 10:27 AM

Just diced chicken, finely chopped celery (celery leaves too) salt/pepper and Miracle whip. I also like to do pork loin salad with the same ingredients.

GramE 01-26-2019 10:36 AM

I roast whole chicken breasts with salt & pepper at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. When mostly cooled, I dice, add diced celery, mayo, sour cream, 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Grapes, and nuts can be added but I prefer just chicken and celery.

Pennyhal 01-26-2019 12:36 PM

Diced chicken 1 cup per person, apple not peeled 1/2 per person, avocado about 1/2 per person, pecans 1/3 cup per person, enough light or low fat mayo to moisten, and sometimes I throw in a few dried cranberries. Serve on a lettuce leaf. Decorate with cherry tomatoes, grapes, or whatever I have on hand.

Rhonda K 01-26-2019 05:28 PM

Chicken, chopped celery and onion. Add mayo to taste. One of the local bagel shops adds lemon pepper to the mix.
Another deli had the best home made chx salad and I would sprinkle lemon pepper on it too. It adds a nice tang.

What don't you like about your recipe?

PS: I think there is a difference in taste between shredded or chunky chicken.

SusieQOH 01-26-2019 05:38 PM

I normally don't like chicken breasts except for chicken salad, as Patrice J said. Grapes are nice, salt and pepper, celery, mayo (we use Vegannaise nowadays instead of Hellman's) . Boston, how do you make it?

mjkgquilt 01-26-2019 06:49 PM

I pouch chicken breasts. Cool. Shred them. Was told long time ago that shredded chicken tastes better. Don't really know except I like shredded chicken.

Boston1954 01-26-2019 07:23 PM

Wow, this is making me hungry. I usually just boil some chicken or even get a whole chicken that is already cooked. I dice some celery and throw some salt, pepper, a tiny bit of garlic salt and Miracle Whip. Maybe I need to write down my amounts. I have a tendency to throw them together.

I've never thought of apples, grapes or walnuts. I will have to look into that. Mmmmmmm!

tranum 01-26-2019 07:27 PM

We made chicken salad for a bridal shower using a recipe that included mayo and whipped topping. It was good and I’m not sure if I ever had the recipe.