Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Recipe for Rice in Oven? >

Recipe for Rice in Oven?

Recipe for Rice in Oven?

Old 02-23-2024, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Default Recipe for Rice in Oven?

Company is Coming and I am looking for a rice recipe for the oven.

It'll be served as a salmon go-with, that's also being baked in the oven.
So, more than plain white rice, but not a full-on meal casserole.
I'm thinking something with sauteed onions, but am not locked on that idea.

Of course, I could ask Mr. Google, but I'd really like to hear directly from those that have made the recipes, with any extra tips and thoughts about them.

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-23-2024 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:14 PM

How about rice pilaf? I got this recipe from a French chef I used to work for in my undergraduate days. His food was always great!

Serves about 4 people:

"1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 tablesppons butter
1 bay leaf
2 cups raw rice
3 cups chicken stock, heated to boiling

Saute the onions in butter with bay leaf until the onions are transparent. Add the rice and toss to coat. Add the hot stock and bring to a boil. Put the pan in a 400-degree oven for 17-18 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving." from the kitchen of Gerard Crozier and published in Great Chefs of New Orleans II in 1990.

you might want to try it with fish stock instead of chicken stock ahead of time to see if it light flavored enough for the salmon.

Last edited by ibex94; 02-23-2024 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:59 AM

Mahatma Yellow Rice Mix, Long-Grain Rice, Stovetop or Microwave Rice

I use this almost exclusively. It is available on amazon and less than a dollar each. The Spanish rice also! Ready in 20 minutes and perfect every time.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:52 AM

ibex94, saved your recipe to my computer recipe box. Looks good, simple and versatile. A New Orleans chef, should have known it was from you. Tee-Hee-Hee
Old 02-24-2024, 05:06 AM

1 c Uncle Ben's converted rice
1 small can sliced mushrooms and liquid
1 can onion soup
1 can consumme
1 stick melted oleo
Mix all together in casserole. Bake at 375 for 1 hr.
(Can tell this is an old recipe. It's from before Uncle Ben got 'converted'!!)
Old 02-24-2024, 07:52 AM

Illinois, that one sounds great! I am a huge mushroom fan! I'll use beef bone broth and butter as my "consumme" and "oleo". Let's see if I can do it tonight! I do have some fish to cook up.... Thank you!

WMUTeach, wish I could say that cooking comes naturally to me. I have to use a recipe or nothing will come out right. *Gasp* what a horrible confession for someone from New Orleans to make!
Old 02-27-2024, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Ladies, for the new recipes.
Looking forward to adding these to my rice repertoire!!
I always like oven recipes, so I don't have to fuss over things as much as on the stove top.

If anyone has any more to add, please do!

Illinois ... Have you ever used with fresh mushrooms instead of the canned, and onions? I'm thinking maybe saute first and add with 1/2 can water?

Re Uncle Ben and converted ... When I bought rice this week, I noticed Uncle Ben is no longer, but is now monikered as Ben, only. Wonder? how long has it been so, and I had never noticed?

AAshley333 ... Have never heard of Mahatma Rice before. I'm guessing, by the name, that perhaps it is an Indian flavoured mix? Or?

Ibex94 ... I'm guessing I could probably saute mushrooms along with the onions? And follow the recipe otherwise?

Thanks Again!!

Old 02-28-2024, 04:33 AM

Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima ran away together awhile back. It's part of being politically correct in today's world.
I think all recipes become our own through trial and error and are only a framework what we find we like--or have on hand. In one of my cookbooks is a little "funny" about how the person found a recipe that looked really good but didn't have the ingredients on hand so began substituting for this and that. In the end she was amazed that it didn't taste at all like the original recipe!
And then there's the one about a woman who made the best potato salad that many asked for her recipe. Nope, over her dead body would she share that. So when she died, her family engraved her recipe on her gravestone!
Old 02-28-2024, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Agree, Illinois ... We often put our own spins on recipes!
I'm probably the worst. Or is that the Master of Spins?
I always say, that recipes are only guides.
Granted, for a first time through, I usually follow fairly close,
to get a sense of how it's supposed to be.

Here's my "funny" recipe/cooking story. A friend was a good cook, often making some pretty impressive meals and special recipes. More time consuming than I thought many busy women, let alone Mom's of five would bother with. Where the humour came was, no way she would change anything. And I mean anything, whether ingredient or quantity. The best of it all was that if it said cook in a 10" round 2.5 litre casserole, no way would she substitute it for a different shape or size. Yes, there was some teasing ..... and gradually, I got her to have faith, and live on the wild size, switching up the baking dishes!!!

Tried Ibex94's rice last night. Only because I had the ingredients, for the most part.
Illinois, I will make yours another time, but first I need the onion soup.
My changes ... sauteed with the onions, both mushrooms and celery.
Of course, used more butter. As the saying goes, everything is better with butter!!
No bay leaves ... used sage and thyme.
Only made 1/2 recipe ...... would have been more than enough for four people.
Will freeze the leftovers in single portions, for quick meal additions in the future.

Results ... delicious!!!
The cooked butter and veggies certainly made it more than "just" rice, for a nice flavouring and texture to the end result.

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-28-2024 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Ibex94 .... Just wanted to let you know that your recipe was a hit with my weekend company.
Enough so that they wanted the recipe too.
No doubt, yours will now be a regular in my recipe repertoire!!

Bon Appetit !