Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Recipes Using Plums Please >

Recipes Using Plums Please

Recipes Using Plums Please

Old 07-08-2022, 05:33 AM

Default Recipes Using Plums Please

I have 2 trees loaded with plums...one is a Santa Rosa and the other is a type of Japanese plum. Got some good recipes to share?
Old 07-08-2022, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I have used Stanley purple plums to make pies. They make great pies that look and taste like cherry with a lot less work to pit enough for a pie. I would cut the plums in half to remove the pits and freeze for using in recipes later. My sister makes plum jam which is delicious also.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:57 AM

Jams
Pies
Cobbler
Puddings
Old 07-08-2022, 08:04 AM

I had a friend that had tons of figs & she kept giving them to me. I didn't know what to do with all of them so I found a recipe for fig cookies that was delicious. I pulverized my figs in a Magic Bullet & froze them in containers (enough for each batch of cookies) & then just took them out & defrosted when I wanted to make a batch. It worked great.
So, that being said, I looked up & found that there are recipes for plum cookies that you might want to try. This one sounds good & you could probably just dice them up & freeze them like I did the figs.

http://freshisthetaste.com/plum-cookies/
Old 07-08-2022, 08:31 AM

Haven't tried these but here's a recipe for Pear & Plum Fruit Leather Roll Ups that look good for a snack and some Banana Plum Bread:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ollups-3517281

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...na-plum-bread/

Last edited by osewme; 07-08-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I have 2 trees loaded with plums...one is a Santa Rosa and the other is a type of Japanese plum. Got some good recipes to share?
I’d be tempted to try some plum wine. An old , easy recipe using frozen grape juice can be substituted…2 cans frozen grape juice, 5 cups sugar, 1/4 tsp yeast, 3/4 cup warm water, a gallon jug, & 1 lge strong balloon- the kind that costs about a dime. Mix the yeast w warm water , stir the sugar into juice , add yeast mixture and pour all into a gallon jug ( the kind with small mouth such as vinegar container). Fill jug with warm water, leaving 1 inch head space. Fasten the balloon over the top like a cap. Set in dark, cool place for 5 wks. As the wine makes, the balloon fills with air. When all the air LEAVES the balloon, the wine is ready. You could substitute concentrated plum juice, or other fruit juices. It’s so fun to experiment.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:21 AM

Ohh Mermaid, that sounds like fun! I think I would set the container in a tote with a lid, just in case the experiment turns into a volcano. I just might have to try this!
Old 07-10-2022, 07:12 AM

GingerK…I recently made a half gallon from home canned grape juice. I was cleaning my pantry and found 2 qts of the juice sitting unused. I dug out the recipe instead of pouring the juice down tithe drain! My husband & I used to make wine this way many yrs ago, and we primarily used for spritzers. It is fun to experiment with diff fruits. To add, we never had an eruption..the balloons were strong enough to stay in place.

Last edited by mermaid; 07-10-2022 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Add’l info