Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
to see my xmas cake recipe.... >

to see my xmas cake recipe....

to see my xmas cake recipe....

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
joy

to see my xmas cake recipe go to ......

http://trademecooks.11.forumer.com - click on Christmas cakes and all other christmas recipes - next page click on fruit cakes for xmas...

look for charliebrown123 - it is somewhere near the bottom of the page.
I give the ingredients for an 8 inch cake plus instructions for the ingredients for 7inch, 10inch, and 12 inch cakes.... also the cooking times for those sizes....

someone on the chat line asked me for it..... it is easier to do it this way than typing the whole lot out again.... hope you don't mind !!!

Enjoy......

Old 12-21-2007, 07:14 AM

Links change, here's the recipe. Lots of good recipes there - worth a bookmark.

8 Inch Tin Xmas Cake
450g flour, 225g sugar,1 teas. mixed spice.. sift together then add 1.350g mixed fruit.. I use tasti brand. half pint milk, 225g butter - boil together... I put the milk on low and it can heat slowly while doing the flour, etc... Bring milk to the boil, take off stove and beat in 2 eggs with egg beater, very quickly...Mix together 1 teaspoon each of vanilla, almond, run and lemon essences. add 1 and a half teaspoons baking soda and mix well with essences. Add to milk mixture with beater. Add milk, butter, eggs, soda and essences to flour and fruit mixture. Place in lined tin... Cover with baking paper and cook 140 degrees up to 3 and a half hours or less... see below re brandy..... I line the bottom of the tin with at least six pieces of newspaper cut the same size as the inside of the tin. then baking paper... around the sides I put newspaper and baking paper... Pour about a third cup of brandy no more, over the cake as soon as you take it out of the oven... wrap straightaway...
IMPORTANT.... I have, on the bench, a biscuit cooler.. (mesh tray) and on it I put a thick towel, double, then put the hot cooked cake, still inthe tin, on the towel, place a sheet of tin foil over the cake tin, with a finger hole in the middle, then wrap the tin in the towel, then I add a second towel on top and wrap that over and around the tin and leave until the next day until it is cold... this steams the cake and you will never have a dry fruit cake anymore... It really works!!!!!
times for other size fruit cakes... same recipe.
7 inch.....3 hours.... three quarters of above recipe
8 inch.....3 and ahalf hours
10 inch....4 hours to 4 and half hours... 1 and a half times 8" recipe
12 inch....5 hours 10 mins... 2 and a half times 8" recipe.or 2 and a quarter times...
for a 9 inch cake I use the 8 inch recipe and throw in a handful of extra fruit and cook slightly less than 8 inch cake...