Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Sourdough Pretzel Buns...Ever Made Them? >

Sourdough Pretzel Buns...Ever Made Them?

Sourdough Pretzel Buns...Ever Made Them?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,834
Default Sourdough Pretzel Buns...Ever Made Them?

I've been reading about how to make sourdough, pretzel buns for hamburgers. Some of the ingredients listed in many of the recipes are kind of odd, like, "sourdough starter discard," " non-diastatic malt powder," instant yeast (even though there is already starter,) baking soda, etc. I'm a little befuddled.

Has anyone ever made sourdough, pretzel buns before? What role do these odd ingredients play?

Thanks,
tropit is offline  
Old 01-08-2021, 02:13 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've been reading about how to make sourdough, pretzel buns for hamburgers. Some of the ingredients listed in many of the recipes are kind of odd, like, "sourdough starter discard," " non-diastatic malt powder," instant yeast (even though there is already starter,) baking soda, etc. I'm a little befuddled.

Has anyone ever made sourdough, pretzel buns before? What role do these odd ingredients play?

Thanks,
I have never made the pretzel buns but have baked a lot of sourdough over the years. The discarded sourdough dough starter will add a lot of delicious sourdough flavor but is over the hill when it comes to leavening the dough. That is why you need the instant yeast. The non diastatic malt powder can be added to the dough as food for the yeast. It can also be used instead of lye, in a boiling water bath to give your pretzels a hard shiney crust. Not sure why they are asking for baking soda. Could be to help with the leaveing, to adjust the pH of the dough or to put in the boiling water bath. Good luck, sounds delish!
janiebakes is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 05:15 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 998
Default

Sounds interesting, I've made sourdough bread but not pretzel buns. What is different about the pretzel buns versus sourdough buns. Is it just the shape?
rjwilder is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 07:20 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,834
Default

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
I have never made the pretzel buns but have baked a lot of sourdough over the years. The discarded sourdough dough starter will add a lot of delicious sourdough flavor but is over the hill when it comes to leavening the dough. That is why you need the instant yeast. The non diastatic malt powder can be added to the dough as food for the yeast. It can also be used instead of lye, in a boiling water bath to give your pretzels a hard shiney crust. Not sure why they are asking for baking soda. Could be to help with the leaveing, to adjust the pH of the dough or to put in the boiling water bath. Good luck, sounds delish!
Thanks, Janiebakes. I wonder why you can't use just regular, live, sourdough starter and skip the instant active yeast. I would also think that the fancy malt powder could be replaced with regular sugar, although that might affect the taste. I'm pretty sure that the baking soda is used in the boiling water, since it is alkaline and that is what makes that shiny crust and unusual taste. I'm going to keep researching.

Last edited by tropit; 01-09-2021 at 07:24 AM.
tropit is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 07:22 AM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,834
Default

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Sounds interesting, I've made sourdough bread but not pretzel buns. What is different about the pretzel buns versus sourdough buns. Is it just the shape?
Pretzel buns have a shiny, chewy crust and taste like soft pretzels. They can be sour, or not sour. I want to make some of these buns for hamburgers.
tropit is offline  
Old 01-10-2021, 05:15 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 998
Default

I was curious after reading this post yesterday. I went to my local grocery store and they sell pretzel buns. I bought a package and tried them out last night. They were pretty tasty, there is only two of use so froze the rest of them.
rjwilder is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.