Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: substitute for whip n' chill?

substitute for whip n' chill?

I found a recipe in an older cookbook and it called for 2 pkg. Whip n' Chill. I never tasted WnC but do remember that it was in supermarkets back in the 60s or 70s. What can I substitute for the WnC?
    Thanks for reading.
    Always be kind.

Try looking for Dr Oetker's mousse or San Sucre mousse mix. San Sucre is French for without sugar. It's sweetened with Splenda.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

How about using the real thing? ..... whipped cream!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I don't know about Whip and Chill.... is it similiar to Dream Whip? Dream Whip is made by mixing the powder mix with milk and I think vanilla until it is like whip cream. It is still available in my area (Upstate SC). I have only one recipe that calls for it and rarely make that recipe. It calls for the Dream Whip to be mixed with cream cheese and layered with pie filling and graham cracker crumbs. My mom used to make when I was a child.....many many many years ago!
    What recipe are you looking at?

I never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I never heard of it.
    I think you just gave your age away .... younger than many of us?

I LOVED Whip n' Chill when I was a kid!!! Sorry can't help. The mousse sounds closest. Whip n' Chill was not just whipped cream. It was definitely more of a mousse.

Cool whip would probably be a good substitute

Blog Entries
    i'm glad to see the answer. i remember that my mom kept the powder in the cupboard for special desserts
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

I am going to look for a mousse. From the recipe, I think that is what was meant. Thanks for the help.
    Always be kind.

Dream whip is a powdered mix and still available here. I think I saw it in the area where the canned and powdered milk is. As Geri B says, Cool Whip would be a good substitute and no mixing. Just thaw it and use.

Whip 'n Chill is in Fresh Market around here, I'm pretty sure. Or something very similar that is not Dream Whip
    Alyce

I don't remember it but I'm of an age when I should. Anyway, I found this online: Whip ’n Chill: One of the most popular desserts of the sixties, Whip ’n Chill was a strange one, similar in texture and taste to mousse, but with a faint tang of chemical design. Its ingredient list reads like a toxic waste dump posting: propylene glycol monostearate, sodium casienate, acetylated monoglycerides, cellulose gum, hydroxylated lecithin, sodium silico aluminate and sodium stearoyl-2- lactylate. During the sixties, the artificiality of Whip ’n Chill had a novelty appeal. People still believed in the space age, and Dow Chemical Company’s motto was “Better Living Through Chemistry.” With the end of the space-age, Whip ’n Chill’s novelty was replaced with horror when people began to realize just what they had been eating.

It doesn't sound too appetizing to me, but I searched and found that the Vermont Country Store carries (or carried?) it. They show it in their catalog but said it's unavailable right now so maybe it's just out of stock?

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of Whip 'n' Chill. And live thru the 60's and 70' and before.

Blog Entries
    I googled substitute for Whip 'n' chill. This is what I found.
    I think that you are looking for Whip & Chill. I understand that it is no longer made but I found this recipe on the internet. See if it sound like what you are looking for. Charlotte

HOMEMADE WHIP & CHILL

1 package vanilla pudding, cooked with 2 cups water. Cook till thick. Add 1 (3 ounce) package jello (strawberry) and mix till jello dissolves. Chill till cool. Fold in 1 medium carton Cool Whip.

Click here to view: http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/boa...OCT/62873.html

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I think you just gave your age away .... younger than many of us?
    Don't I wish!!! I think maybe it's because my Mom made everything from scratch. Everything!
    Her kitchen is to her what my sewing room is to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle View Post
    I don't remember it but I'm of an age when I should. Anyway, I found this online: Whip ’n Chill: One of the most popular desserts of the sixties, Whip ’n Chill was a strange one, similar in texture and taste to mousse, but with a faint tang of chemical design. Its ingredient list reads like a toxic waste dump posting: propylene glycol monostearate, sodium casienate, acetylated monoglycerides, cellulose gum, hydroxylated lecithin, sodium silico aluminate and sodium stearoyl-2- lactylate. During the sixties, the artificiality of Whip ’n Chill had a novelty appeal. People still believed in the space age, and Dow Chemical Company’s motto was “Better Living Through Chemistry.” With the end of the space-age, Whip ’n Chill’s novelty was replaced with horror when people began to realize just what they had been eating.

It doesn't sound too appetizing to me, but I searched and found that the Vermont Country Store carries (or carried?) it. They show it in their catalog but said it's unavailable right now so maybe it's just out of stock?

Try reading the labels of a lot of today's food products ..... so what has changed?

Try reading the label of Cool Whip - main two ingredients are hydrogenated veg. oil (shortening) and high fructose corn syrup. No thanks. Sticking with real whipped cream.

Never heard of whip n chill or whip & chill. The homemade whip & chill sounds very good. I never liked cool whip, When I use something like it I buy Reddi Whip, made with real cream.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    I LOVED Whip n' Chill when I was a kid!!! Sorry can't help. The mousse sounds closest. Whip n' Chill was not just whipped cream. It was definitely more of a mousse.
    My mother used to make a similar product from jello and whipped cream. She let the jello just begin to set and then whipped in the cream and then let it set. I know she must have cut out some of the water in the jello. For the life of me I was never able to duplicate it for my children
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I remember Mom making Whip 'n Chill in the 60s. We all loved it and it was so quick and easy. Somewhere I've got a pamphlet put out by the company with recipes to make using it.

Blog Entries
    I"m almost older than dirt and never heard of Whip n Chill.

I remember it as a Tupperware recipe. They came out with a loaf shaped container and you made a ribbon layered salad with alternating layers of colors of jello and about every third was whip n chill. Took all day to make since each layer had to set up. Beautiful when sliced and served.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Whip 'n Chill is in Fresh Market around here, I'm pretty sure. Or something very similar that is not Dream Whip
    My mistake - it is Whip It which is a stabilizer for whipped cream. I got close enough to look!
    Alyce

I find that Whip It changes the texture of whipping cream but it does what it is suppose to do.
    Penny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast