Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Sweet Potato Recipes >

Sweet Potato Recipes

Sweet Potato Recipes

Old 07-10-2021, 07:32 AM

Default Sweet Potato Recipes

I have a bunch of sweet potatoes. I'd love to share some healthy recipes using SPs with y'all.

Here's one: Sweet Potato Omelet. Just add 2-3 tablespoons of mashed sweet potato to a couple of eggs and stir them up in a bowl until the sp is blended in. Add some salt and pepper and whatever else you like. Lightly oil a pan ad pour the mixture in. The sp will make it brown up nicely. When it's ready flip and cook for about 30 seconds longer. Flip and fold out on to a plate. The omelet comes out slightly dense, but still fluffy. The taste is very mild sweet potato. This would be good with a bunch of other goodies in the omelet. Apples perhaps? I covered mine with hot sauce. A tiny drizzle of honey would have been perfect, but I didn't think of that until now.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:40 AM

My current favorite is sweet potato and black bean enchiladas from the Minimalist Baker. I'm making another batch this weekend
Old 07-10-2021, 07:42 AM

You must be a phenomenally good cook. We never cook anything "exotic" or different.
I cook sweet potatoes in our Instant Pot & they come out so soft & yummy. We just add a bit (or a lot) of butter to them & eat them almost like a dessert.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
You must be a phenomenally good cook. We never cook anything "exotic" or different.
I cook sweet potatoes in our Instant Pot & they come out so soft & yummy. We just add a bit (or a lot) of butter to them & eat them almost like a dessert.
OMG...I am so not a good cook. I have lots and lots of misses. But thanks for the compliment. I do like to cook though and I'm always curious about new ways to make things and new foods to try.

Your sweet potatoes sound sublime. Simple is sometimes best.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I love baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, sweet potato fries.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
If you want to venture out, Minimalist Baker has some excellent and not difficult recipes. I am SO not a good cook and I've made several of their healthy versions of Mexican food. They came out well and weren't hard at all.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:17 PM

I am lazy, My favorite thing to do with sweet potatoes is just to bake it. Usually I just cut of both ends a little, trim any funny things off, wrap in aluminum foil and toss in the oven....usually about 350 for about an hour and twenty minutes. I then just eat it plain...sometimes add a bit of butter. If there are any left over, I like to slice it the next day rather thinly and sauté it in a frying pan in butter, gotta be butter, you have to watch it and be patient and not cook it too high. It will caramelize with crispy edges and a nummy soft interior. We used to have this on thanksgiving and one person would be given the job of frying these up in a cast iron frying pan.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:20 PM

Twice baked Sweet Potatoes.

Bake (or microwave) sweet potatoes until soft. Meanwhile, saute some finely chopped onion and garlic in butter. Peel and mash the sweet potatoes. Add the onion/garlic/butter mixture, salt and pepper to taste, and a bit of sour cream. Combine well and put in a casserole. Top with lightly crushed croutons and bake until heated through.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:20 PM

My son would turn his nose up at this but it sounds good to me!
Old 07-12-2021, 04:15 AM

I like to cut up the SP, toss with a just a little olive oil and arrange in a single layer on an old pizza pan and roast them. Oven is at 350. Turn them over at about 10 minutes and bake for another 10-15 minutes. I like to top them with salt and pepper and just a little feta cheese. Another topping that is yummy is a little sprinkle of maple syrup.