Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: tamales

tamales

my tamale recipe, you can sub beef for chicken
    we use left over smoked brisket. mmmmmm good!!!!

Name:  tamales.png
Views: 520
Size:  34.8 KB

I adore tamales but not all the work it takes to make them.

That sounds so good! Thanks for sharing

I can munch a dozen right now LOL

I just recently learned how to make tamales which I have loved all my life. I make mine over a 2 day period. I cook my meat & make my sauce the first day & put the tamales all together & steam them the second day. We like the pork ones because that's what we grew up with. Your recipe looks interesting with the tomatillo sauce.

Interesting using the broth and oil instead of lard. That might make a good potluck dish for the hubby's work.

Daughter in law is Hispanic heritage and both she and the son are Vegan. I keep saying that I'm going to learn how to make tamales but I want to start with a Crisco base and vegan fillings I think... since the Hubby is keto and I'm low carb, I'm concerned that the test batches will go largely uneaten. But I guess really, it's not that much in terms of masa.

Hubby and I have been stopping by a local restaurant Sunday mornings before bowling. They make a dulce tamale with raisins that has the loveliest texture and I know what I'm trying for, lol, I also know the soggy stuff I've ended up with years ago. As Martha Stewart would say, a good tamale is a good thing
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

I use a masa spreader like this one. It's a great invention & so much easier than trying to spread it on the corn shucks with the back of a spoon.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamales-Masa-.../dp/B003DQS9O2

When down South, I heard a woman place an order for 50# of tamale meat !!! Hope she had help coming !

Too much work for me. Don't even know if I could find all the ingredients.

I like the canned ones. We eat them maybe twice a year.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Jingle, before I moved to So.Cal. I only ate the canned tamales. Thought there were good until I had them for real. I went up to WA and found a can of the ones we used to eat and thought they were still good but cannot compete with the fresh ones.

I have always wanted to learn to make them but since my daughter & I are the only one in the family that like to eat them we believe it is best just go buy them. We have a place about 4 miles from the house that makes and sells the best tamales.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 11-18-2019 at 09:12 PM.

I've been needing a new stock pot and bought one from Amazon that just got delivered yesterday! We went to Costco just before Thanksgiving but no pots on the day I was actually willing to buy one. The one I got is by Cuisinart and has the pasta basket and steamer trays and I'll be able to try it for tamales.

I picked up all the ingredients but usually my Mom cooks an additional turkey for us to take home for leftovers so I was expecting to have a ton of cooked turkey to work with. She wasn't feeling up to shopping so my brother got the turkeys and instead of her usual 20+ pound birds, got two 12ish pound birds and both were needed to feed guests to handle the extra people who didn't RSVP. But that's ok, hubby's work gave him a turkey which I cut down raw, deboned and froze the breast halves and I can use that for tamales attempt one.

Going to call them "todd-males" after the hubby, who complained about the masa/filling ratio even before he went keto. Think I'm going to make a squarer patty and it will look more like the little bundles of sticky rice we have here for dim sum than a tamale. But there are good cooking reasons for the shape and size of a traditional tamale so maybe that won't work.

If this works for me, it will be easy to substitute vegetable stock for the chicken/turkey broth and make a vegan filling (spicy mushroom mix most likely, but maybe something with fresh spinach in there too).

Will post an update after I make a few batches in the next few days.
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Thank you so much for sharing this streamlined version! Living in San Diego for 33 yrs. gave me a real love for southwest food, but the tamale process seemed so overwhelming. You make it seem easy!

I hope I'm not being redundant when it comes to tamales...I've posted about them before. We make then every year for Christmas Eve. We try to make all kinds...the more variety the better. We like carnitas, chicken and green chile, creamy corn and red pepper, picadillo, black bean, cheese, the list goes on and on. The one thing that we put into all of our savory tamales is a pitted, black olive. We also serve up a variety of sauces s/a red chile, green chile, black mole, pork or chicken sauce and fresh salsas.

I try to get the basic fillings made ahead of time and then let everyone have fun putting the tamales together. We have several, big, steamer pots of water going, so the tamales all get done about the same time. We then have time to make all of the fixin's while they are cooking. Oh, my dau always makes an amazing pozole soup to go with everything.

We always have leftovers which we either eat the next day, or send home with our guests.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    I've been needing a new stock pot and bought one from Amazon that just got delivered yesterday! We went to Costco just before Thanksgiving but no pots on the day I was actually willing to buy one. The one I got is by Cuisinart and has the pasta basket and steamer trays and I'll be able to try it for tamales.

I picked up all the ingredients but usually my Mom cooks an additional turkey for us to take home for leftovers so I was expecting to have a ton of cooked turkey to work with. She wasn't feeling up to shopping so my brother got the turkeys and instead of her usual 20+ pound birds, got two 12ish pound birds and both were needed to feed guests to handle the extra people who didn't RSVP. But that's ok, hubby's work gave him a turkey which I cut down raw, deboned and froze the breast halves and I can use that for tamales attempt one.

Going to call them "todd-males" after the hubby, who complained about the masa/filling ratio even before he went keto. Think I'm going to make a squarer patty and it will look more like the little bundles of sticky rice we have here for dim sum than a tamale. But there are good cooking reasons for the shape and size of a traditional tamale so maybe that won't work.

If this works for me, it will be easy to substitute vegetable stock for the chicken/turkey broth and make a vegan filling (spicy mushroom mix most likely, but maybe something with fresh spinach in there too).

Will post an update after I make a few batches in the next few days.

I love the spicy mushroom filling idea! We always do a roasted vegetable filling as one of our fillings. Roasted onions would be good too. I've substituted for veggy stock many times and it works great. You can also use vegan shortening, s/a Earth Balance Sticks, instead of the traditional lard. Just remember to adjust for the added salt.

~ C