Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tomato soup. (Homemade)

Tomato soup. (Homemade)

DHs sister told me I must heat the tomatoes and milk separately then to avoid curdling, either add milk to tomato or the other way around. Shes passed away so Im on my own. Can you advise ?

Don't let the soup with milk get hot enough to boil.

I use milk in condensed tomato soup instead of water. Never had it curdle while heating. I use a whisk and stir until hot.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Add a little baking soda to the tomato mixture while it is cooking. After adding the milk,don’t let it boil.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    My Mom's version, which we think is delicious, is this:
    Melt margarine or butter in double boiler--about 3 Tblsp. If you want Celery/Onion, or both, chop fine and add to margarine. Let cook until tender.Add about 3-4 Tablsp. flour and stir well
    Add tomatoes and stir until well blended. Heat in the double boiler until hot.
    Add 1 t. baking soda-releases the gas in the tomatoes. Stir well until no more bubbles from the baking soda are showing.
    Add 2-3 cups milk, stir well and get hot. Stir occasionally.
    If soup is too thin, dissolve 1-2 T. flour in milk until a light creamy consistency and add to the soup. Stir well.
    Add pepper, but no salt--can cause curdling.

Enjoy!!
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Thank you everyone. I’m going to make notes in a cookbook so I don’t need to ask again !

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Don't let the soup with milk get hot enough to boil.

I use milk in condensed tomato soup instead of water. Never had it curdle while heating. I use a whisk and stir until hot.
    This is what I do also. I crumble about half of a stack of saltines, add to it and enjoy it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My favorite (easy) recipe is to mix one can of tomato soup and one can of diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano. Heat and enjoy with saltines or, my favorite, grilled cheese sandwiches.

I sprinkle baking soda into the tomato juice/V8 juice, stir, then add what milk I want. Then I just heat it to below boiling. Since I'm the only one who likes this soup, I make it in a LARGE mug, just for me and heat in M/W.

add 1 can salmon and you have salmon soup.

From chemistry class, "acid into water, you're doing what you oughter" tomatoes are acid so slowly add to milk

There is a good recipe in Betty Crocker cookbook for cream of tomato soup; (I leave out the onions). You heat the onion (1 tsp), 2 TBSP butter, 3 TBSP flour, (2 tsp) sugar, (1 tsp) salt and (1/8 tsp) pepper til smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; gradually stir in the tomato juice (2 cups); bring to a boil, stirring constantly, boil 1 minute. Stir the HOT tomato mixture gradually into COLD milk. Heat rapidly to serving temp. My mom and I have made this for over 70 years. It's the BEST soup. I just finished a double batch. Great weather for soup too.

Power Poster
    My MIL served a tomato soup with canned (I think) tomatoes floating in milk.

It might have been good, but I was only 19 at the time and would not try it.

"Red into white will always be right."

Quote Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
    There is a good recipe in Betty Crocker cookbook for cream of tomato soup; (I leave out the onions). You heat the onion (1 tsp), 2 TBSP butter, 3 TBSP flour, (2 tsp) sugar, (1 tsp) salt and (1/8 tsp) pepper til smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; gradually stir in the tomato juice (2 cups); bring to a boil, stirring constantly, boil 1 minute. Stir the HOT tomato mixture gradually into COLD milk. Heat rapidly to serving temp. My mom and I have made this for over 70 years. It's the BEST soup. I just finished a double batch. Great weather for soup too.
    How much milk???? How many servings does this recipe make?
    Last edited by sailsablazin; 09-27-2018 at 05:02 PM.

I like to use a can of diced tomatoes, mixed with some almond milk and then add some spices s/a thyme, oregano, chilis or dill, plus S&P to taste.

~ C

I never had homemade tomato soup. My Mom always cooked and baked from scratch except for Campell's soups for lunch. She made tomato soup with milk and it's so good! It's the only way I've had it.

I thought I'd try to make homemade tomato so I did. I mean tomato soup how hard can it be. I put a can of whole peeled tomatoes in blender and blend until smooth. I put in pot heated and simmered until thick. Added half stick of whole butter, and a ounce of cream cheese, salt to taste. I add half and half until the consistency I wanted the soup to be. Made grilled cheese sandwiches. DH said it was the best tomato soup he has ever had. Of course he hasn't had that many kinds. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.