Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Tons of Tomatoes >

Tons of Tomatoes

Tons of Tomatoes

Old 06-18-2021, 04:17 AM

Thanks a bushel! Will try these ideas... can't wait to catch a Redfish!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:08 AM

My Italian mother-in-law made a potato salad using: potatoes, green beans, and tomatoes. She made a vinegar and oil type dressing that she poured on it when the potatoes were warm. It can be served warm, room temp, or chilled. It’s perfect for summer.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 AM

I roast tomatoes - Cut in half, put on a parchment covered sheet pan, cut side up. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of oregano. Roast @ 350° for 1 - 2 hours.

You can adjust seasonings to your liking - add garlic or salt, use other herbs. Skins, if you want to remove, will slip right off after roasting and cooling.

I then package into food saver bags and freeze (freeze before sucking air out - or just use freezer containers). They are so much better than anything canned in the store and we enjoy them throughout the rest of the year in chili, soups, goulash, etc. I have only 1 package left in the freezer from last year.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
My Italian mother-in-law made a potato salad using: potatoes, green beans, and tomatoes. She made a vinegar and oil type dressing that she poured on it when the potatoes were warm. It can be served warm, room temp, or chilled. It’s perfect for summer.
That sounds good! I'm gonna try that. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I roast tomatoes - Cut in half, put on a parchment covered sheet pan, cut side up. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of oregano. Roast @ 350° for 1 - 2 hours.

You can adjust seasonings to your liking - add garlic or salt, use other herbs. Skins, if you want to remove, will slip right off after roasting and cooling.

I then package into food saver bags and freeze (freeze before sucking air out - or just use freezer containers). They are so much better than anything canned in the store and we enjoy them throughout the rest of the year in chili, soups, goulash, etc. I have only 1 package left in the freezer from last year.
That sounds good too!

I'm jealous that you all have so many tomatoes right now. My plants are only 8 inches high. We had a cool, dry spring and all of our starts took their time coming up.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
That sounds good too!

I'm jealous that you all have so many tomatoes right now. My plants are only 8 inches high. We had a cool, dry spring and all of our starts took their time coming up.
No tomatoes here in the Finger Lakes for another month, at least. We don't put them in anymore; there has been a problem with some sort of blight for a few years. Once it is in the soil, it takes ages to go away. We have a lot of farm stands in the area, as well as a couple of you-pick places. I am happy buy them from others who have more consistent success.

Today I made freezer strawberry jam. Another of those things that will be a nice treat when the winter winds blow.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:40 PM

Years ago a friend shared a Tomato Jam recipe using raspberry or strawberry jello. It is really easy and was tasty. I can not find my copy, maybe someone on QB has it.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:17 PM

I just got done canning tomato sauces, whole tomatoes. then made tomato butter.
I think i like it better than tomato jam. but have jam still left from last year that is great on morning toast.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:43 AM

Just finished canning a bushel of San Marzano tomatoes....no, I didn't grow them myself but I'm going to try next year...they are expensive! They are a type of paste tomato from Italy that has more flesh and only half the seeds of a Roma and are bigger.
I made spaghetti sauce (Just tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper...add other ingredients when you use it) and quartered in canning jars with sprigs of basil to use in just about anything that calls for canned tomatoes. I have had a huge amount of Roma's from my garden, but not all at once, so I've taken to either drying them or roasting and freezing. (Or giving them away!)

Watson

Old 09-10-2021, 05:55 AM

I bought in a large number of tomatoes yesterday and today it is the plan to make sauce out of them and can it for the winter season. I put up about 2/3 a bushel just a couple weeks ago and now have these . I also have enough cukes to make a great lot of pickle relish that too is in the plan for this week as I play catch up on things. I have been gone for most of the week. I got to see my kids and grandkids. So now it is back to cracking the whip so to speak and play catch up on things here.
If you have not canned anything before it is a great way to make use of good foods.