Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Vegetable Au Gratin >

Vegetable Au Gratin

Vegetable Au Gratin

Old 01-01-2020, 06:30 PM

Default Vegetable Au Gratin

Made this side dish for New Years Eve and liked it.

Bring large pan of salted water to boil, add 1.5 pounds trimmed green beans and 3 cups cauliflower pieces. Return to boil & time 4 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain completely.

In saucepan, melt 2 T. butter, add 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs & cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Add salt & pepper to taste. Transfer to bowl to cool down then add 3/4 cup shredded gruyere’ cheese (or Swiss). Set aside.

Use same pan, melt 3 T. butter add 2 cloves minced garlic cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 T. flour then slowly add 3 cups half and half. Heat to thicken about 5 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp. dry mustard, pinch of cayenne pepper. Heat slowly to melt cheese. Put 1/3 of sauce in sprayed 9x13 oven dish. Layer of vegetables, rest of sauce & Panko mixture on top. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:24 PM

That sounds good.
Have Healthy New Year

Thank you
Old 01-02-2020, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Everything’s better with cheese!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Made this side dish for New Years Eve and liked it.

Bring large pan of salted water to boil, add 1.5 pounds trimmed green beans and 3 cups cauliflower pieces. Return to boil & time 4 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain completely.

In saucepan, melt 2 T. butter, add 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs & cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Add salt & pepper to taste. Transfer to bowl to cool down then add 3/4 cup shredded gruyere’ cheese (or Swiss). Set aside.

Use same pan, melt 3 T. butter add 2 cloves minced garlic cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 T. flour then slowly add 3 cups half and half. Heat to thicken about 5 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp. dry mustard, pinch of cayenne pepper. Heat slowly to melt cheese. Put 1/3 of sauce in sprayed 9x13 oven dish. Layer of vegetables, rest of sauce & Panko mixture on top. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
This recipe looks delicious! I love cheese too. However, it's a new year so I'm back to my vegan ways and trying to lose the weight that I've gained back..augh. I suppose that could modify this to use almond cream cheese, earth balance for the butter and thick, homemade almond milk for the half&half. It wouldn't be quite as good, or as rich, but still yummy.

Happy New Year everybody!

~ C