Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Wanted Brown Rice and Chicken Recipes? >

Wanted Brown Rice and Chicken Recipes?

Wanted Brown Rice and Chicken Recipes?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

I'm trying to eat healthier these days. I've read that brown rice is good for you. I like chicken also. Any simple fast recipes using chicken and brown rice?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 PM

I recently came up with something that hubby and I both liked. I cooked brown rice and put it aside. Then I cooked some garlic and onion in a deep fry pan. Removed and browned some mushrooms. Removed those and browned my chicken pieces. Then poured a can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup over the chicken and simmered till the chicken was done. Added the mushrooms/onion and garlic till heated and served all over the brown rice. Very tasty and the chicken was moist. You can add or subtract ingredients as you see fit. I'm thinking next time I'll throw some peas in at the end also. I haven't used white rice in years - use brown for everything.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:12 PM

That sounds really yummy!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
I'm trying to eat healthier these days. I've read that brown rice is good for you. I like chicken also. Any simple fast recipes using chicken and brown rice?
Crock Pot Chicken and Salsa

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions
Add chicken to slow cooker.
Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
Serve with rice.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Banned

They both sound good! Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 AM

Thanks for those recipes. I like brown rice and also chicken. Will try these recipes.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:14 AM

I too have used brown rice for years. I prefer short grain to long. You can experiment. One of the things that is harder for me. (I work full time and like meals I can cook within a half hour) is the cooking time. So- when I make brown rice, I usually make enough for two meals or recipes. Unlike white rice, brown rice stays intact when it is reheated.

I occasionally make red beans and rice with chicken sausage. If you can find it in your area. saute up a chopped onion in some olive oil, cut up the chicken sausage and cook that with the onions. Add two drained cans of red beans (or any kind of beans, for that matter) 1 can of Rotel (chopped tomatoes and green chiles). minimal salt and some black pepper. Cook until the beans are warmed through and then serve either over rice, or- I mix in 2 cups of cooked brown rice. mmmm. Very low fat, but doesn't taste it.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 AM

This is a favorite with my family Go to www.deliaonline.com and look up Chicken Basque. It's fabulous, goes in one pot on the hob or in the oven if you prefer. Even fussy eaters will eat it!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

wow you just made my mouth water. Penny
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 AM

You can also do a nice chicken fried rice. The "recipe" goes something like this: cook your brown rice. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over med. heat scramble an egg and remove. Increase heat and add chicken strips, scallions, thawed frozen peas and carrots cut into matchsticks. Cover and cook about 2 min. - until carrots seem tender enough. Add the rice, some (low sodium) soy sauce and about 2 tsp sesame oil if you have it or vegetable oil. Heat through and serve. It's a forgiving dish meaning you can adjust ingredients to taste. I've even thrown in some leftover spinach. It's best to cook the rice the day before or several hours ahead of time and refrigerate. It gets gooey if you throw it in right after it's cooked. Ask me how I know! You can cut your scallions and carrots way ahead of time also - so everything is ready and you only have 1 pot to clean after dinner. You can substitute pork or shrimp for the chicken if you want.